Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So pleased!  (Read 7704 times)

Offline Mia

• New Bee
    • http://www.providencealpacafarm.com
So pleased!
« on: August 23, 2004, 09:17:29 am »
HI all,
Just had to stop in and say how pleased I am!  We started VERy late in the year (June) with a nuc box.. had to put two deeps on so that took a while to fill.. but we still got a whole super for ourselves.. 10 quarts of lovely honey!!!

We also just had a HUGE swarm take off this past weekend as well.. I noticed others had this problem.. but I'm with beekeeper.. this late in the season, I'm just going to let them go.. but I'm happy, happy, happy to be enjoying this honey!

Can anyone tell me how to post an image?  Would love to show you our honey!!

Mia[/img]
Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away...

Anonymous

So pleased!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 10:55:00 am »
Glad you were able to get some hone, I would for one like to see a picture.
Go to sonys   imagestation.com open an account and upload your resized image there. My size is some thing like 624x 423  pixels.
once your picture is at Image station you need to work with two windows open. here you type in your picture should apper then.

:D Al

Offline Mia

• New Bee
So pleased!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 11:06:52 am »
Well, that sounds like lots of work, but I did post them to picture trail.. here's a link (I Hope)

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5059120&uid=145440

If that doesn't work.. go to http://www.picturetrail.com and type in Mia2 as the album you'd like to see...

Thanks!
Mia
Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away...

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
So pleased!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 12:09:03 pm »
If you already have them on the web, just put the link into an img tag.
Code: [Select]
[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL5/145440/5059120/64417173.jpg[/img]

gives this:

and

Code: [Select]
[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL5/145440/5059120/64417104.jpg[/img]

gives this:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Anonymous

So pleased!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 01:07:31 pm »
Guess I shouldn't have assumed she didn't have a internet storage site for her pictures.

Ask questions first then give answers when all the questions have been fully answered.

Any way great pictures of the bottled/caned honey. I also liked the swarm.

:D Al

Offline Mia

• New Bee
So pleased!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 01:54:00 pm »
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Question.. is this considered a "normal" size swarm?  Should I be worried that it just happened a few days ago.. will this leave my colony too weak to survive the winter?  

I've been so happy about getting some honey my first season of trying.. now I need to get them safely thru until next year!

Thanks.

mia.

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
So pleased!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 02:24:14 pm »
Lots of differing views about swarms here in the forum.  Maximum production requires a bit different technique than the johnny appleBEE style.  :lol: The swarm will have to hurry if your weather is anything like ours right now.  As an aside, I was just rereading some of George Imries Pink Pages.  I don't know if he could document it, but claims 90% of all swarms perish the first winter.  He's an ornery old bugger, but has alot of experience.  The bees here are running out of time to get ready for winter. (and so am I)  As for the parent colony, IF they get a new queen laying, and don't cast a bunch of afterswarms, I would think they should be alright.  Their harvesting is gong to be severly retarded now, and a gap in brood rearing, so you'll need to evaluate feeding them if you took off most of the honey.  One thing you can always do with late swarms, is hive them, then in a couple weeks, recombine them with the parent colony using the newpaper method.  Gives you back the colony strength without jumping through hoops to nurse a weak colony through winter,

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
So pleased!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 09:44:35 pm »
Golf,

Don't know where I read it, but I heard a figure of 80% of swarms don't make it. So sounds like there may be some truth to it being so high.  I tend to believe it too,  I know how much it takes to get a late season swarm up to speed for winter and that is with me feeding them syrup right at the hive,  and providing some type of foundation/comb.  Now just think about the nectar that needs to be gathered just for them to build comb, not to mention create enough stores for winter.

Unless the weather is exceptional, I'm surprized 10-20% survive.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
So pleased!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 10:00:12 pm »
I'm sure your right Robo.  I never measured it, but if nectar is reduced 5/1 to make honey, and wax costs 8/1 in honey... thats at least 40 lbs of nectar to draw out a deep box.  Alot of work in a short time.  

I really like old George.  He's a no nonsense, no excuses type of guy.  Not alot of patience for people that repeat the same mistakes over and over expecting different results.  (the definition of insanity?)    It's a style that has been lost to diplomacy and political correctness.  Sometimes, you gotta raise your voice above the din!! bahahahahaha... I like that crusty old bird.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
So pleased!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 09:17:57 am »
I agree,  if I look at how I am keeping bees now verses 10 years ago, a majority of the things I am doing different are based upon reading George's papers.   :)

Offline Sting

• House Bee
Ornery What?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 04:26:30 pm »
Golfpsycho wrote:
He's an ornery old bugger.  (George Imrie)

Wouldn't that be a middle-aged person who enjoys playing with insects? ...Like a beekeeper? :lol:
"Where the bee sucks, there suck I." William Shakespeare: The Tempest.

My apiary is about 17 kms. (10 miles) NW (back & left) of this web-cam view:  'See any of my girls?
http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
So pleased!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 06:27:20 am »
Hi!

I see that George Imrie has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread. I tried to look for his book at google and Amazon, but didn't get much info except that he has made some famous "Pink Pages"  :)

What's the name of his book, and when was it published? Any ISBN?

thanks
eivindm

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
So pleased!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 09:30:11 am »
Evind,

I'm not aware of a book from George, but I could be wrong.  I made my own by printing out the pink pages and binding them together. Good easy reading with short chapters :D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
So pleased!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 10:01:21 am »
For those interested, George Imirie's pink pages can be found here -> http://www.beekeeper.org/

Anonymous

So pleased!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 01:39:28 pm »
Robo,

I've read George's Pink Pages for the last couple of years and have printed and stapled his articles together on a month by month basis. I think it's a good way to refresh oneself as to what you should be doing each month of the year.

As someone stated before, he pulls no punches and lets it be known exactly how he feels about increasing one's knowledge on the best ways to keep bees.

I was wondering if you know wether or not he was still around since I know his health wasn't too good and I haven't seen anything new from him lately.

the golfpsycho

So pleased!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2004, 02:10:27 pm »
I occasionally see a posting by GI on the BeeL bulletin board.  I think most recently, I read that he had lost the ability to speak as a result of multiple strokes.  He was planning to see a surgeon with hopes of regaining his voice.

For those interested, the BeeL board was originally established as a forum for researchers and scientists to exchange information.  It now receives alot of basic beekeeping posts, which are sometimes ignored, sometimes admonished to use the search function, and sometimes become a very long thread.  You never know what you might find there.