Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead Bees and Larvae  (Read 8901 times)

Offline dp

• House Bee
Re: Dead Bees and Larvae
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 08:46:38 pm »
I'm glad you said that.  When I inspected them on Saturday, I noticed that there was about 3/4 of a deep worth of bees.  I think I'll crunch them into one deep and see how they do.  I did reduce the entrance to keep robbing down.  I'll keep you posted and thanks for all of the insight.  

I know it's a learning experience, but I'd rather just read about some other person's problems :)

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 12:56:11 am »

I know it's a learning experience, but I'd rather just read about some other person's problems :)

Yea thats why we all hang out here so we can look at the post and think man at least someone has it worse than me. :-D
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline dp

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 11:36:23 am »
I worked this hive again this weekend, and reduced it to one deep.  Things seem to have stabilized.  Not sure if it is my feeding that helped, a flow that is occurring, or just they worked things out on their own.  No dead bees in the bottom this time, and seems to have quite a bit of larvae, so I'm holding out hope that they will really kick it in gear now. 

I guess when they get the bottom deep about 70-80% full, I should add the 2nd deep on again?

I'll keep you all posted on this in the future.  Thanks for all of the good info.

Offline dp

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 12:49:57 pm »
Inspected the hive again this weekend.  No dead bees again.  Some pollen and quite a bit of honey stores.  Have quite a bit of brood in various stages.  Bee population is pretty low though.  There is probably only 3-4 frames of bees.  I have reduced this hive down to a single deep and put an entrance reducer on.  I found a capped queen cell too?????

Is this hive going to swarm?  Should I do a split with my other hive which is very strong?  I'm wondering about pulling the queen out of this hive, a frame of brood out of my strong hive and a couple of frames of bees from the strong hive as well?

I'm worried that this hive is so small, and it's going to swarm.    Help!

anything