Welcome, Guest

Poll

What kind of internet connection do you have?

Dialup
2 (8.7%)
DSL
10 (43.5%)
Cable
7 (30.4%)
Satellite(EG:WildBlue)
3 (13%)
t1 or above
0 (0%)
other
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Connectivity  (Read 7724 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Connectivity
« on: September 21, 2007, 10:46:52 pm »
Just wondering what kind of connection everyone has!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Connectivity
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 11:56:22 pm »
DSL  8-)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:45:24 am »
Stuck on dial-up at home,  no other options available.....yet??

Luckily have T1 at work...

Ken,  I think you meant Wild Blue and not Jet Blue,  I changed it for you :-P
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:48:55 am »
WildBlue not bad but not Cable.
Have to watch the installers though not very efficient in their job. Didn't know how to set up and delete the modem setup that was on this computer.
Had serious problems with them about mounting the antenna and where to put it, they only wanted to mount on metal fence post they were trying to sell for an extra $100, reason why they didn't even carry a ladder  with them. :-X

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 12:38:28 pm »
WildBlue not bad but not Cable.
Have to watch the installers though not very efficient in their job. Didn't know how to set up and delete the modem setup that was on this computer.
Had serious problems with them about mounting the antenna and where to put it, they only wanted to mount on metal fence post they were trying to sell for an extra $100, reason why they didn't even carry a ladder  with them. :-X

same thing has happened with me, the installer has it pointed through a overhead power line and then through the eve of my home. :(

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 07:19:40 pm »
The reason I knew about the sales pitch was I had just finished taking the on-line course for installing Wildblue.
They really didn't know what to say when I told them about taking the course. Just said I'm going to call Wildblue and see if they have changed the installation policy in the last two weeks. They did a backstep and all of a sudden put it where I wanted to put it in the first place after borrowing my ladder. Too many little vandals running around here so wanted it as high as possible off the ground where they can't get to the dish or cables, just like my direct tv is.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 03:45:27 am »
Just wondering what kind of connection everyone has!

Fiber Optic :)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 10:00:51 am »
UtahBee, if you don't mind me asking (just tell me if you don't want to answer) how much does it cost you monthly?  Your connection is at least twice as fast download and way higher upload than mine (Comcast cable modem).  I haven't 'upgraded (=pay $10 more a month) for the higher speed - but I don't see much of a lag - at least it doesn't bother me....

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 01:50:35 pm »
UtahBee, if you don't mind me asking (just tell me if you don't want to answer) how much does it cost you monthly? 

No, I don't mind telling you. I have fiber optic through a service call Utopia, and the end provider is Mstar.net. Monthly I pay $39.99 for service.

My father who lives down the street has Comcast, and he has similar down speed, but the same upload speed as you (or about there). Comcast has tiered their internet services to customers, which means that for customers in one part of the country, they have different speeds than for other parts of the country - and they watch what you download and how often. If you download or upload "too much", they'll start charging you extra. But the good thing is, for the typical home user, you will not run into any problems. Comcast [cable modem speeds] is better than DSL, in my experience. So far, fiber has been the best.

I also have telephone service with Utopia, but opted out of TV service because my current setup with Dish Network is the same price as Digital Fiber TV, and I would have had to give up my DVR. That wasn't happening. So, for both Telephone and Internet, I pay almost $60 a month.

Regards,

Utahbees

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 10:30:58 pm »
My cable, phone and internet are $132.00 a month - and that's pretty basic cable, with one $6.95 package so we get the history channel and a couple others - no HBO, Cinemax, etc. (I don't miss them).  Verizon has just strung fiber optic lines throughout my area, I could sign on but it's even more expensive than cable - and believe it or not, Comcast's customer service is way better than Verizon's.  That keeps me from switching - Comcast stinks so bad, to think there's someone worse {shudder}.  I think I'll stick with Comcast for awhile longer until things really heat up competitively between the two companies, once Verizon gets more coverage.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:48:28 pm »
Good idea. I would do the same.

Here in my area, everyone is offering $99 for the whole package for 1 year, and then it goes to $120/year for all three (phone, Internet, TV) after the first year.

I pay $60 for phone/Internet and $40 for Dish Network. That way I stay at $100 for as long as I want.

I think we might cancel Dish and just save the $480/year. There's free shows over the airwaves ;)

You might call Comcast and see if they offer a $99 special, because you're thinking of switching

UtahBees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 12:38:46 am »
DSL
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:32:48 pm »
I have DSL (I think).I was localnet.My speed was usually 28.8 or 26.4.
 Reinbeau, I just went to verizon. It costs me 60$ a month but I got a discount for already being a Verizon customer AND a discount for having a contractor ID card for Sheppard AFB. I havent seen my first Verizon bill yet to show me what it costs AFTER all the extra things they charge for. I have another post about a question I had about using my new connection.Its about how many comps. I can use with one card.
your friend,
john

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 08:44:45 am »
I have DSL (I think).I was localnet.My speed was usually 28.8 or 26.4.
 Reinbeau, I just went to verizon. It costs me 60$ a month but I got a discount for already being a Verizon customer AND a discount for having a contractor ID card for Sheppard AFB. I havent seen my first Verizon bill yet to show me what it costs AFTER all the extra things they charge for. I have another post about a question I had about using my new connection.Its about how many comps. I can use with one card.
your friend,
john
That's $60 for just internet connectivity, right?  It's the same price here - but for the $132 I'm also getting cable and phone.  If you're getting all that for $60 then you've got quite a deal!  :shock:

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 03:35:59 pm »
Yehp...Thats 60$ only for the internet...49$ for the phone....43$ for the house phone. Sure adds up just to "Reach out and touch someone"!

your friend,
john

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 12:15:00 am »
I'm on a 1.5mbit down stream DSL connection.  Not the best but my parents don't want to pay any more.

Some day I want to get a T1 and host my own servers in my home.  My DSL connection doesn't seem to be very good when it comes to concurrent connections, when I do projects and I need to have a bunch of people connect to my computer, it starts to really slow down to just a couple hundred kilobits.
calebgo.com - My website

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 12:18:50 am »
Comcast cable. Love it after putting up with dial up for so many years.

anything