Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The green marshmallow field  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The green marshmallow field
« on: January 16, 2008, 10:46:06 am »
When certain fields of hay are baled in our area, they are contained within a plastic bag (I am sure this is done everywhere, hee, hee).  Usually these plastic bags are white.  But this year I see that they have switched to a green wrap.  Not sure why, maybe it is more environmentally friendly, hee, hee  :( ;) :)  Beautiful day, beautiful life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: The green marshmallow field
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:58:59 am »
I have never seen hay wrapped in any type of bag. Here, the hay is bailed, and that's it. You see it on trucks for delivery just the bails. I do like your picture.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:44:11 pm »
Great...now I have a craving for smore's.  Really really big smores.

Looks like they are green from mildew.  Unless them bags are really watertight, what they have there is giant bags of compost. :roll:
Rick

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:30:32 pm »
JP,
Sometimes alfalfa hay is baled in high moisture to maintain the protein level.When baled that wet you have to bag it to prevent spoilage.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:38:42 pm »
Ok, I was thinking about plain old hay.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:21:35 pm »
Hey!!
They DO look like marshmallows Cindi!!
Down here they look like big white tomato worms(without the point on their tail)
your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:08:40 pm »
Great...now I have a craving for smore's.  Really really big smores.

That is very funny

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:45:11 am »
Interesting.  Well, these bales are just local hay, not timothy or alfafa.  They are baled when the hay is dried.  Funny Ken how you say that alfalfa is sometimes baled moist, that was interesting.  We don't grow alfalfa around here that I know of, but it is grown further north and westward, we just have timothy or local hay.  Smores, yum, yum, now that is good stuff.

I saw in a neighbouring town yesterday that the bales were white plastic, not this green one.  I have never seen green plastic used before, so I have a curiosity that has peaked.  One day I will know that answer.  Have a beautiful and best of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 05:20:15 pm »
Cindi,
As you suggested,it may be biodegradable plastic. i know there are some  plastic bags made from corn that have a green tint. Maybe that is what you have seen.
                                                                                Ken

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:45:53 pm »
Ken, oooooh, now that is a thought, perhaps eh?  One never knows and only time will tell that tale.  I will keep an eye on these greenies, they have been there since beginning of September.  I have no clue why they have not gone to some livestock owners barnyard yet.  Maybe they are flagged as bad stuff by another green bag placed over the white bag.  I could have sworn I saw them as white when they were firstly in the process of rolling them up (or whatever process they perform).  Strange, the answer will come one day.  Beautiful day and life.  Cindi