Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mud dobbers  (Read 5482 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Mud dobbers
« on: August 08, 2009, 04:41:11 pm »
I checked the hives today. The 4 week old split is doing great with lots of brood and drawn comb, very gentle as well.
 The "mother hive" however was a different story. Although very active and full of honey, the bees were quite aggresive and started pinging me right off the bat. I thought I'd better dig a little deeper to find out what would make a normally calm hive react like that and on the third frame in I found it....a mud dobber's(Dirt dauber to some) nest right on the frame! I opened this hive 2 weeks ago and it wasn't there then so this (these?) wasp(s) have been busy.
 I would have thought that the bees would repel the wasp(s) but it looks like they just stood there and watched it happen. It appears as if they actually capped the wasp brood with wax!
 Anyone else ever have this happen?

Peace be yours,
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Mud dobbers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:26:45 pm »
Now that is just plain weird! Did you get a picture? 
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 09:51:22 pm »
Yes, I got a pic I just haven't had luck getting it posted. I'll try again tomorrow :)
Peace,
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:56:38 pm »
I get the daubers mud cakes when my boxes are setting away for the winter....In the summer tho, I get one every now and then.....The bees dont seem to mind the daubers, but they dont let the wasps stay around at all! They dont mind the roaches and fly spiders either....But the fly catcher spider only eats a bee every now and then.....Mostly they eat a roach...or some other bug from no telling where it comes from.
your friend,
john

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:38:21 pm »
I have seen lots of the mud dobbers around the hives, but so far the bees are keeping them out. I have had more troubles with the bumbles than anything.

Bees like to cover things with prop. I had a skink get into one hive and I think the bees killed it, as it was covered with prop. when I found it.

Brenda

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:19:17 am »
I took this picture inside of Bud's shed last time I was there: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/h4KBtw1iILG_r1sR6ysnhA?feat=directlink

They don't really seem to bother anything or anyone really. Bud sure seems to be cultivating a nice collection of them! :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 12:44:59 pm »
Wow, I've never seen anything like those.  Guess we don't get them around Seattle.  Do they sting?

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 02:39:12 pm »
If you don't aggravate them they don't sting, in fact I don't recall anyone ever being stung by a mud dauber.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 09:13:59 pm »
Wow! Buds got a great place there! The pic looks just like my shed too!

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 10:08:57 pm »
Wow! Buds got a great place there! The pic looks just like my shed too!

your friend,
john

Bud has a really nice set up, his place is a whole lot of fun. You should come to the gathering next year John, we'd love to see you!

...JP

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 11:33:07 am »
I have had the mud daubers in my nuc boxes. I just cut out their nest. I haven't seem them back since.

Mike.
I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

anything