Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarms & SHB  (Read 1011 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Swarms & SHB
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:38:14 am »
Caught a swarm yesterday, big 'un. I put it in an 8f deep and had to put another 8f medium on top. When I dump them in the box I leave a queen excluder (now an includer) underneath the bottom super for a day, maybe two. When the bees are dumped in the super a large folded towel is laid on top of the bees to gently push them down.

I had an inner cover laying by the box. When I went to get it I found a couple of small hive beetles. When I removed the towel I found about 3 or 4 more. To me this supports the theory that SHBs will fly with or follow a swarm.

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Swarms & SHB
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 02:21:56 pm »
GSF,
SHB's will fly with a swarm. They also move into the hive that is swarming. Usually in large numbers, they take advantage of the situation and start laying eggs. I have found over 300 SHB's in the oil tray after a hive has swarmed. The bees were kicking them out of the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Swarms & SHB
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 03:22:15 pm »
When I first saw them I thought "Dang, they've come from a hive that's eat up with SHB" Then I thought along the lines that you mentioned.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything