Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm help NY  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Orlando

• House Bee
Swarm help NY
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:06:49 am »
Hello,

What is the average swarm season for Lower Hudson Valley, NY?

This is my first year trying a swarm trap and would like to know when I should put the trap out.

Thanks

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
Re: Swarm help NY
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:31:28 am »
Hello,

What is the average swarm season for Lower Hudson Valley, NY?

This is my first year trying a swarm trap and would like to know when I should put the trap out.

Thanks

When the apples blossom in lower hudson valley.  When is that?  I think probably early May.  Its a little later as it stays colder here longer than it does in HV.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:37:54 pm »
I think this goes along with this question.  I was watching Mel Disselkeon's OTS (On The Spot) queen rearing and his swarm prevention (reduction) practices.  His methods recommend removing the queen one week before swarm season begins (not promoting or debating his method...it just brought this question to mind).  Now that cannot be a calender date, bees don't use calenders.  Weather is different each year and the blooming of certain plants can change drastically depending on how mild or cold the winter has been.

So what signs in nature would indicate the start (or week before) of the swarm season?   Apple blossoms(pushing or open),  Maple leaves the size of a squirrel's ear, dandelion bloom, drones beginning to fly?   What do you look for in your area?

Jim

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:39:28 pm by Grandpa Jim »

Moots

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 02:44:54 pm »
Jim,
I was bee surfing one sleepless night, I've had quite a few of those as of late:-D, and started watching his OTS video. I only got about 1/2 hour in, but found it very interesting. However, I had the exact same thought!  everything revolves around that date, but yet, how do you identify it?  It's a catch 22.  :?

Offline Orlando

• House Bee
Re: Re: Swarm help NY
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 08:58:28 pm »
Spoke to a local old timer...he said with conviction:  when the dandelion blooms.

I felt convinced, we will see.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:07:00 am »
apples and dandelions go same time frame. 
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!