Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starting a new package  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
Starting a new package
« on: February 05, 2009, 02:06:01 am »
When starting a new package of bees would adding a pollen patty along with syrup be helpful in getting the colony started? I have seen videos where some have done it but most don't.
Thanks, Bobb
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Starting a new package
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 07:11:01 am »
>When starting a new package of bees would adding a pollen patty along with syrup be helpful in getting the colony started?

If there are things blooming they will almost always ignore it and it will go to waste.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:56:24 am »
It all depends.... :-D

As MB stated, if things are blooming, then probably not. If you are getting your packages way to soon to fit this scenario, like some of the package producers are this year, you better have the feed ready.

Last year, I sold to a few new beekeepers who had lost there hives after installing packages in early April on foundation. They got sucked into thinking "the earlier, the better".

One package provider this year in Pa. is advertising packages on March 28th. I hope the snow will be gone for those unfortunate new people this year that was sold this idea is a good thing.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:54:31 pm »
>One package provider this year in Pa. is advertising packages on March 28th.

If I got a package here in March I'd have to put pollen out or a patty on, or a frame of pollen in or they wouldn't get going at all...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin