Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anything New??  (Read 4509 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Anything New??
« on: October 06, 2011, 04:24:18 am »
Anything new in SHB control over the past 12-18 months. Been out of things for a while

Slicko

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: Anything New??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 08:34:14 pm »
You Aussies are way ahead of us on SHB treatment with your govt's approval of the Fipronil traps.  :?

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:57:42 pm »
If fipronil is authorised for use in Queensland, the DPI hasn't updated their webpage and registered beekeepers have not been notified.  http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/4790_18157.htm

This is the Apithor label  http://www.apithor.com.au/images/pdf/ApithorLabel.pdf
I looked up the permit  http://permits.apvma.gov.au/PER12007.PDF  It is for emergency use in ACT, NSW, QLD, VIC, WA, SA  "IN FORCE FROM 29 SEPTEMBER 2010 TO 30 JUNE 2012."

Lone

vksheilds

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:47:15 am »
Its reallly good one pdf for whose unaware on same topice even I am also thankful to your post  ;)

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:59:52 pm »
Anything new in SHB control over the past 12-18 months. Been out of things for a while

Slicko

Hey Slicko!

nothing new that I have heard of unfortunately.
My Screened Bottom Boards seem to be working well - did you use that mesh I gave you? How did you find it?
I think the holes in that mesh may actually be a fration too small, as I think my bees have started regressing as I am starting to get a few bees in the cooking oil now :( however I got none through the mesh in the first 12 months.

The combination of foundationless and SBB have worked well so far this year - fingers crossed.

ML

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 02:08:37 am »
Hey Slicko, SHB are like fleas on a dog down this way and I am now using Apithor bait stations and they seem to work well.  I have learnt through two hives losses to tilt all hives slightly forward so any rain or moisture drains out.  It you don't the bait station gets wet and the SHB won't enter them, and it turns to slime in a week.

Cheers
Steve

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:40 pm »
Hay slicko

a new way that might control SMB

HM

bio control for viroa mites

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 06:43:27 am »
Apithor is working very well for me.  At $5.00 a pop every three months it is expensive but I never have any concerns about SHB.  I tend to not worry about them in the cooler months.  I prepare a new botom board with the trap attached and swap them over.  I wouldn't bother with them May - August in the Coffs climate.  $10.00 to $15.00 per year is much easier for me than fussing with oil traps and the like.  I rarely see SHB except for under the hive mat on the top super in my 3 - 4 super hives.  Just my opinion.

Yanta