Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chimny bees??  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
Chimny bees??
« on: June 18, 2009, 07:45:37 pm »
I have a hive of bees INSIDE of the chimny about 2 feet down.... any Idea of how to reach them?
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Re: Chimny bees??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:48:06 pm »
Are they a swarm on the inside of the chimney? Maybe a bee-vac? Or maybe just a hive at the top of the chimney w/some enticing smells such as lemon grass?

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:17:37 pm »
No they have been there for about a month I thought about vacing out the bees but I would like to save the brood.  Im thinking about getting a board and lowering it below the colony and cutting the wax on the sides and letting the colony fall onto the board and raising it up and moving it that way.... :?
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:17:23 pm »
Thats funny, I went and looked at a hive inside of a chimney this afternoon, they are about 2 feet down to the top of the comb, don't know how far down to the bottom. The flue liner is about 1' x1' square and they have comb solid across it. Looked at them after a huge thunder storm and they were soaking wet. I don't see how they made it through the winter. Owner said they had been there at least since last year. Roof is very steep but I am going after them in a week or so, have two bee trees to go and get also.

I am eager to see how you handle yours, I need some pointers on how to get the comb out also....................JP where you at we need some pointers and I know if anybody has been in this situation you or iddee have.

Keep us posted with ideas Highlandsfreedom.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:01 pm »
JP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Iddee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just kidding i will be there at 8 tonight so I will give yall a up date....

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:12:48 pm »
I will mention you both to the man when I say my prayers tonight. You are going to need all the help you can get.   :'(

Plan carefully, move slowly.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:08:31 am »
I will mention you both to the man when I say my prayers tonight. You are going to need all the help you can get.   :'(

Plan carefully, move slowly.

Bahahahahaahahaahahaha! :lau: :imsorry: :pop:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:31:01 am »
Rule # 1   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never let the mother light 1 piece of paper at the bottom of the chimney.........

Next thing you know you are getting pelted with fiery embers of an ENTIRE NEWSPAPER!!!!!!!

Then the wax the 3.5 foot long 5 combs of beeswax well you know it MELTS!!!!!!!!!

Rule # 2  ....................................

Use a veil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that it went GREAT!!! :hissyfit:

I will go by in the morning and collect the remaining bees if their are any we got hailed on in the process.....

I LOVE BEE KEEPING!!!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 08:18:20 am »
so how did you get the 3.5' comb out of the flue liner with out it breaking up???????

what!! no pics :roll:

Glad everything went good for you, I think I am in for a doozy of a cut out.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:00:44 am »
Going back now for the flue and the rest of whast left.............