Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Soffit Hive---August 12, 2009  (Read 3970 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Soffit Hive---August 12, 2009
« on: August 13, 2009, 12:23:05 am »
This little colony had trouble at some point evidenced by wax moth stuff and collapsed combs. They were able to reuse the fallen comb sections and fight off the wax moths. I believe the queen is in the inner bee vac box, I will know for certain tomorrow morning.

Here's the pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/August122009#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
Re: Soffit Hive---August 12, 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 12:32:33 am »
nice pics. JP.  good access for a soffet removal... I usuallyend up hav ing to remove the bottom and work over my head, honey drippin in my face.  Hope ya got the queen!
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:31:42 am »
Thank's Jp
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:21:19 am »
JP,
     What would you charge normally for a job like this?

I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:59:04 am »
The going rate in my area averages around $400.00. I don't have a minimum charge. This job was less than 400.00.

Just shook them in a deep nuc about 15 minutes or so ago, didn't see the queen, she may have went right down into the nuc, will check again in a little bit.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline podius

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:29:21 am »
I was curious, I see everyone ask how much you charge, but my question is: Do you also repair the structure after your done or do they have to hire a contractor to fix it?
John VT
Spooner, WI(Northwest WI-up in the nose)
equipment---All medium 10 frame boxes, top entrance's, no foundation frames and mann lake pf 120's (7 hives)

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:55:26 am »
nice little cutout, that is some real heavy duty looking gutter.

Do you ever come across any mean bees?

AHB nest and if you do how do you handle them?

You are certainly far enough south to see them, haha you can't get much farther south that's for sure!

Thanks for the pics and hope that queen is in there.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 12:02:04 pm »
what people charge varies from place to place.  in my case, i don't charge.  i take the bees, hive, gunk, and do the clean up.  my deal with the home owner is that they do the repairs.  most people are pretty happy with that.  it lets me be a little more picky about the jobs i take.  around here, most of my removals are outbuildings.  lots of farms around.  i do very few houses because i don't want the liability. 

JP does tons of removals.  i do a couple or three each year.  i do it just for fun and the genetics  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 03:05:30 pm »
I do some repairs, I have a few friends that do most of my repairs, they are contractor/carpenters.

I personally have never dealt with confirmed AHB, although I can count on one hand, the amount of truly nasty bees I've dealt with. Most of our bees are sweet hearts, pun intended. ;)

...JP

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 05:41:13 pm »
I do some repairs, I have a few friends that do most of my repairs, they are contractor/carpenters.

I personally have never dealt with confirmed AHB, although I can count on one hand, the amount of truly nasty bees I've dealt with. Most of our bees are sweet hearts, pun intended. ;)

...JP

I'm also curious about this because even though I'm a beekeeping noob I'm a highly qualified carpenter/contractor.  The question is, without getting into YOUR business - typically would someone who does bee removal and charges $400 (more or less) also do any repairs included in that price?  I think if I were doing it I would be fine with removing the bees, boarding up if needed, drying in, cleaning up and making the site safe for that price.  I have a friend/ex partner who would be happy to make it all look like new - once the bees were gone. 

Not to be exploitive, but I imagine keeping the removal and repair parts of the project separate would help to prevent sticker shock.  If I included everything in one bid that allowed a decent profit a lot of people would think it excessive. 

I'm just completing a trap out (for free) which if I were going to charge for I think I would need to get $3-400 for, because of all the time and return trips that I've done.  Still, that's a pretty good deal for the home owner because it avoids damage and repairs. 

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 08:36:31 pm »
Great pictures jp, I could even eggs in pics 11 and 13.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 11:26:25 pm »
David, that price is usually just to remove the colony, but depending on the type of repair needed it could include the repair.

...JP

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 11:43:36 pm »
David, that price is usually just to remove the colony, but depending on the type of repair needed it could include the repair.

...JP

Thanks, that's really very helpful.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 12:54:08 pm »
JP

I made a decision that if I ever have to do a cutout in my house, instead of hiring some inexperienced person around here, I will fly you out to do it, give you room and board and whatever money you want on top of that.

You definitely are the expert.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 08:10:13 pm »
Now Annette, for you there of course would be no charge, but you better hide that tasty lip balm! :-D

...JP

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 10:45:39 pm »
Great pictures jp, I could even eggs in pics 11 and 13.

Are those eggs or a reflection?  Isn't that nectar in those cells?

My bad.  I do see eggs in the white cells at the bottom of the nectar.  Good eye.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:57:19 pm by David LaFerney »

anything