Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My bees are dying  (Read 5736 times)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: My bees are dying
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 12:08:21 pm »
>The clubs say spray your packed of bees with sugar water as well. When you install a new packed of bees ?

I do not think there are good reasons for spraying bees with sugar water.  They often end up sticky and dead.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 05:39:18 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input. And I'm working on this I will let you all know how things tern out.

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 07:50:19 pm »
Well I'm still losing a lot of bees. Yesterday I was in the hive looking and no new Brood or eggs. The Queen is dead!!  Just a hand full of cap Brood  on each frame. It's to late to Ad  a Queen so I'm going to get a new Nuc and install it in the hive. Is there any thing special I need to do when I install the new Nuc?
I don't have vary many  bees left for this hive. 

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 11:50:30 pm »
Well I'm still losing a lot of bees. Yesterday I was in the hive looking and no new Brood or eggs. The Queen is dead!!  Just a hand full of cap Brood  on each frame. It's to late to Ad  a Queen so I'm going to get a new Nuc and install it in the hive. Is there any thing special I need to do when I install the new Nuc?
I don't have vary many  bees left for this hive. 
I personally would consider cleaning out the hive before introducing more bees. Wipe the inside with bleach water and let it sit to air out for 24 hours. Wipe down any empty frames frames. As far as used comb, it's a tough call. Unless I knew 100% what killed the bees, I think I would cut the comb out and just melt it down and let the nuc start from scratch. If you're sure.. and that's what most everyone else thinks... that it was the sugar water, the old comb could be used.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 11:56:24 pm »
out of curiosity what did the sugar water look like in the sprayer? ie was it clear, cloudy, have air bubbles, ??? I guess just to eliminate it as a possibility what I am getting at is yeast strains from the air getting into the sugar water and converting the sugars to alcohol. also we are presuming you are using a totally clean spray bottle, that has never ever ever been used for anything else that could after having sugar water in it for a week leach back into it that was harmful to the bees? otherwise I'd still say don't candy the bees with sugar water, but it is strange for you 'still' to be losing them after this amount of time simply because you stickied them.

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 05:52:43 am »
The sugar water was clear and in a new spray bottle.  I'm thinking I killed the queen and maybe the bees where just dying out?  But the way they where doing is the question for me. I'm readying a lot and talking with you all I won't to do the right thing for my bees. I don't want to say this is a learning exasperates but I don't want to do any thing to harm them.   I love watching them working and it's so net to be able to be there with out being afraid of them. Thanks for all you help. Tightwad

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 06:23:16 am »
I'm still don't know no what to do with the hive. It looks Cleeing and smells good I did open a couple of the broad and there was two that where dark but no smell to the. I'm thinking they where dead and the worker bees dent Clean them out. I'm going to get back in there to day and look at them moor. I'm picking up my new Nuc Sunday. So I don't know what to do with the remanding bees. If I'm going to wipe down the hive I do have a Nuc box I can move them into while I'm clean up the box's?  I hate to cut out the frames there's honey in them. But I will do what needs to be dun. I have two Brood box's on.  The top one has just two frames drown out. What to do what to do.

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 04:48:35 pm »
OK up date I just had my hives look at by my mentor and I have Nosema In the hive I'm have trouble with. like L-Daxon was saying!!! I'm cleaning the box's two times and getting rid of the frames. The really dark ones I got with the NYC. They are so black, black as charcoal just bought. We are going to try to save the rest of the bees I have   
I'm putting them in a NYC and going to get some meds in them.  We will see if we can save the rest ??
Thanks for your input I have learned a lot as of lately. Thanks
And I'm sending some f the come to be tested to see what Strain I have.

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 06:57:14 pm »
Thanks for the update. I haven't seen this yet but I now know what to look for. Good luck to you and your bees.

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 07:39:37 am »
Thanks I'm learning a lot and I'm having a lot of fun with the Bess  :bee: :bee:  I moved a fram  of broad from my good hive to the Nuc and put the reaming bees in with them I hope they will make it. I was so surprise how much honey my good hive has !!!! 

anything