Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarms and premade frames  (Read 1794 times)

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
Swarms and premade frames
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:42:40 am »
Several months ago I got a swarm.  The guy who gave it to me had them in an observation hive. They built well there. But when I put them in a regular hive with plastic frames they build like they were in the wild.  They don't fill the frames and they over build in some places.  Any suggestions?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Swarms and premade frames
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:38:50 pm »
was the foundation plastic?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:09:19 pm »
If the foundation is plastic make sure they're wax coated (the more the better).  If they still aren't drawing it out properly keep scraping the improperly drawn comb off and have them start again.  The most I've had to do this was twice.  It's usually only on one frame they seem to have an issue with as well.  They seem to get the hint after this and it ends up fine once it's drawn.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:40:40 pm »
If the foundation is plastic make sure they're wax coated (the more the better).  If they still aren't drawing it out properly keep scraping the improperly drawn comb off and have them start again.  The most I've had to do this was twice.  It's usually only on one frame they seem to have an issue with as well.  They seem to get the hint after this and it ends up fine once it's drawn.

Agree.  I use plasticell which has a lot of wax coating but if I have time I coat them with wax anyway.  I have also cut this particular plastic foundation in strips to start foundationless frames with good results.
De Colores,
Ken

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 01:35:14 am »
I have used uncoated plastic. If the bees do it "wrong" (giggle) I just scraped it off and gave it back to them, they'd start over and get it "right". It just takes looking inside every week, which we seem to enjoy doing anyways!

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 02:50:02 am »
I've looked at that as too much space. Tap the box just right and the frames move. An observation hive keeps the space factor in better order. What I would consider is a divider board to tighten it up some and work the frames with them as they fill it and see what they do.

This next year I'm going to try using a 10 frame hive body with a divider board down the center to turn it into five frames on each side with opposite entrances for two packages with a queen in each then move one when ready.