Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: few beekeepers under 50  (Read 33086 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: few beekeepers under 50
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 12:28:15 am »
I started when I was 45, but I always wanted to keep bees from the time I saw my first swarm that lit on a redbud tree in our front yard as a youngster.  When I was in my younger days I had no money to do it, then as I gradually got older I had no time up until a few years ago.  I have been teaching now for 9 years so I have the summers off and honestly don't have a 8 - 5 situation.  Beekeeping to me requires a good amount of dedication, my hats off to the younger guys and gals who are up for that challenge.

David    

Offline Latrell

• Brood
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 12:39:23 am »
Im 32 and steveo_uk my husband is 40
Latrell

an American learning to live with a Brit

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 12:44:51 am »
I'm 44 and started when I was a young 42!! :-D :-D
Oh and welcome aboard Latrell!!!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 12:47:35 am »
buzzbee,  How did you get so wise so fast?

LT in Atlanta

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 12:49:05 am »
HA HA,Tillie I'm still quite the mistake maker!! :lol:

Offline Cass Cohenour

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 01:50:29 am »
I started at 20. My parents wouldn't help me get any bees when I was young. I started wanting some real bad when I was about 12. I'm 31 now and going into my 11th year.

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 02:02:05 am »
wanted a hive when I was 10 or less,,  but were we lived it was not a thing to have ..  after I  move to were I could have a hive ( 1978 ),,, life had gotten in the way ...  with kids there was no time ,,,   and the wallet had moths ,, so bees just remaind a want , not a need ..  after the kids were older it seemed  there was even less time ,,, late fall of 05 a few things changed that I had two or three hours a week open ,, and my kids told me I had to have somthing to fill them hours and told me to get some bees in the spring ..  now Im 58
For most if they want a hive  9 out 10 they live were you can not have a hive and if they do live were they can have them ,  thats when the no time thing comes in play ,,,   the world is running a a fast pace ,,  and for most time is like gold   rare...
the kid

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 03:23:05 am »
well I was 18 Im 19 now!!  going to have maybe over 10 hives this year.    Long story how I got into bees. Let just say I was 3 or 4 yo at the time and was over at my dads firends house that was a beekeeper. He said are you scared of the been NO I said, So he took me out to the hives.  Had about 10 of them out of 100 that he had. He said walk on the other side of them and then hold out your arms and don't swing your arms and hit them if they land on you. Well I was walking right in the middle of them, When I got done you can't see my face thats how many bees I had on me. Well he said now shake like a dog woud, I did and they all took off!!!!  SO thats how I got beekeeping feaver LOL He passd away a year or to later so I did not get to have hive tell I came to arkansas and found out the state inspecter only lives 3 miles from me! Now me and him are best friends, I now can breed queens and all that good stuff.

Offline CapeCod

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 06:34:17 am »
I was 46 when I had my first interest in Bees,,my neighbor bought a cider mill in Maine and we got to talking about it.
I'm getting my 1st hive this year at 48

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 10:35:14 am »
I was 27 when I started.  I got home from Iraq and needed something to do.  My dad kept bees for a few years but didn't have a whole lot of success thanks to some hungry bears.  He gave me what equipment he had left and it quickly became an addiction.  Oh and I also did got into it so I could try to face my fear of bees.  I think that was a success.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 11:42:27 am »
Lattrel, welcome to this forum, it is great to have new members and you're gonna love your time you spend here.  Enjoy.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 11:51:23 am »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 12:16:39 pm »
JP, you had to ask, eeks.....I don't like to talk about myself in this way, but here goes......yep, I am going to have to ramble, I can't do things in a short manner, hee, hee.

When I was a young woman (late teen years), so many years ago, hee, hee, I had moved out of my home and my Father and Mother kept bees.  I was not into them, nor was I even interested in any part of beekeeping, but I knew they kept bees because of the evidence around their house.  Imagine that.

I grew up, raised my family and got into other things.

About 18 years ago we moved onto the acreage that we still live on.  A couple of years after that I thought it might be interesting to raise some bees, only knows, I had enough flowers and vegies that surely the bees would love to live here.  I did some investigating.

It was during those years that there appeared to be a throat mite that was infecting bee colonies terribly (the trachaeal mite).  My research ended.  I got a very distinct impression that raising bees at that time was not for me, it didn't sound too good, and I wasn't into it anymore.  That was put on a back burner in my mind.

In February of 2005 I read an article in the newspaper that was about an Asian man in a neighbouring community that kept bees commercially.  The article so compelled me to renew this interest in beekeeping.  The man offered courses to encourage more people to begin beekeeping.  That was it.....the game began.  When I read this beekeeping article, I got very, very excited.  It was something latent within my soul that needed a little bit of prompting to bring out.  That article was my avenue.

The next day my Husband and I went to see this fellow, I couldn't understand him very much because his accent was so strong, but that did not deter me.  I listened and listened even more carefully.  He had such a love of his honeybees.  That shone through, and that excited me even more -- the fact that the honeybee could be so exciting that this man was in a seventh heaven when he spoke of them.  I have the highest respect for this man who introduced me to this world of the fascinating apis mellifera.  He was so good to me.  He always answered all my questions, I must have drove him nuts with all my e-mails about every little thing that had gone wrong (or right) for me.

The courses began.  I listened very closely and after a couple of the lessons, could understand him well.  I asked questions and questions.  I began reading and reading some more.  I spent eons of time studying and reading, always with pen in hand, writing down every little thing that was important and also jotting down questions.

Since that spring, I have taken seminars, courses, and read and study every day (there has only been a few days in three years where I have not done some kind of study or research).  I find that the more that I know and understand about the honeybee, the more two and two go together all makes so much more sense.  But I am still only on the tip of that iceberg, and I still can't get enough learning and understanding.

I joined this forum the fall before last, that being fall of 2006.  This forum has been one of my strongest areas for learning.  I only wish that I could have found it earlier in my beekeeping beginnings, I would have made less mistakes.  Although, with the mistakes made, they have been enormous learning curves, and hopefully mistakes not repeated, or should I say not repeated too many times.  That basically is my story, and I'm stickin' to it,  :lol: ;) :) :)  Have the most wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi

Right, the age, I turned 55 on October 1, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah!!!!!

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2008, 12:32:40 pm »
I have always wanted bees, fascinated by the difference in peoples fears & my own reality experiments of poking (very gently) letting em walk on my hands while foraging on flowers, letting em drink drops of warm sugar water when I find a cold one in a sudden rain shower (I didn't know they wear out & go off to die)though I know they won't be pleased to have me ripping the top off their home...I'm 52 & at the age of if "I don't do things now" & don't give a rip what people think anymore! Have a great one!  I love seeing young people concerned bout living things & how everything is connected!
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline johnwm73

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 12:33:32 pm »
I am 34 and getting my first 2 hives this year. I hope to have 5-10 hives total in the next few years. That would be enoughto work with in my spare time as a hobby and still be able to sit back and watch them work and enjoy them I hope.

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2008, 01:02:53 pm »
Way back in 1959 when I was in the 8th grade at 13 we were assigned to do a term paper for English class. I did mine on bees. So I guess that was my first introduction and have always been somewhat fascinated with insects in general.

In 1984 at the age of 38 my uncle back in upstate New York located a bee tree in the woods and was able to hive some of the bees and queen. I fly back to New York at least a couple of times a year, and so the next year my uncle showed me how to split the hive. We split it in May. My uncle didn’t worry about locating the queen. He made sure there was brood and eggs in both hives after the split and let the bees raise their own queen. I was just plain and simply fascinated. We increased the hives to 8 by splitting them each year before my uncle died from cancer. I lived in Anchorage all this time, but my father looked after the hives back in New York. Then the tracheal mites came and wiped out our hives.

I wanted to get some bees here, but assumed there was an ordinance against having them within the city of Anchorage. Then one day there was an article in the local newspaper about an Anchorage beekeeper. I phoned the guy and we talked quite a bit. Turns out he had a small beekeeping supply business that he operated out of his house and had bee packages shipped into the state each spring from California. He also told me Anchorage has a law on the books that specifically allows for keeping bees within city limits providing that certain requirements for placing the hives are met. That was about 12 years ago. So, I’ve actively kept bees here since then.

As far as the younger crowd goes, who knows what those kids are thinking anymore??  Computers and video games, I guess.....

btw, if you’re still reading this and wondering about age, I’m 61.

Offline riverose

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2008, 02:10:04 pm »
I haven't started beekeeping yet, due to where I live, but I'm actually 15. I may be the youngest one on here.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 04:56:40 pm »
Hi Riverrose - it helps if you put your location in your profile - then you won't be "hopelessly lost" and the rest of us will have perspective on where you are!

LT in Atlanta

Offline Nate

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 06:34:56 pm »
i'll be starting my first hives at age 19. 

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2008, 07:22:59 pm »
I started in 1959, that may I found a swarm while doing my paper route.  I was 10 at the time, turning 11 that August.  This coming August I'll be turning 60.  I always say I started when I was 11 but I was actually 10 years, 9 months.

I entered this world in that year  :-D

anything