Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ventilation  (Read 5656 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Re: ventilation
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »
So, can an Imirie shim or similar item be placed on the brood boxes with honey supers over it, or does this create too large of a space between top brood box and honey super?  If this is OK would the bees use the shim notch entrance for their "honey" loads?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 11:16:01 pm »
So, can an Imirie shim or similar item be placed on the brood boxes with honey supers over it, or does this create too large of a space between top brood box and honey super?

It's possible that it can result in burr comb.

If this is OK would the bees use the shim notch entrance for their "honey" loads?

Yes, at least some of them will.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 12:18:02 am »
TWB,

Not sure why you'd want to place an Imirie shim there; you'd be better served to place a slatted rack there (added space, probable function as a non-harmful queen excluder, etc) and use a top entrance.

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 11:08:10 am »
TWB,

Not sure why you'd want to place an Imirie shim there; you'd be better served to place a slatted rack there (added space, probable function as a non-harmful queen excluder, etc) and use a top entrance.

I guess I was thinking this would eliminate the need to drill holes in my brood boxes if it works.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 02:31:58 pm »
I was looking for that Honey Run inner cover mentioned in this thread. Is that the same as the "all season inner cover" that they sell?all season inner cover Anyone else have experience with these?

Same cover and I have them on both of my hives. I truly love them, so far, and the bees never beard in front of the hive, like they did the first year.  It provides such nice ventilation for them in the summer. Here it gets into the 100's for days on end.  It just all makes sense to me and now for the winter it really seems wonderful as well. I like the upper ventilation notch and the insulation on top to keep the hive warm.

I recommend these covers.

Annette

anything