Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Solar Powered Fencer Winter Maintenance Procedures  (Read 2174 times)

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
Solar Powered Fencer Winter Maintenance Procedures
« on: December 03, 2008, 07:42:20 pm »
I had been told a while back to just shut my solar powered fencer off when the snow came, based on the understanding that when the bottom wires are covered in snow, it just shorts and drains the battery.

I replaced the battery in one unit this year, and the other is only a season old.  I'm wondering if any of you folks who are using solar-powered fencers could let me know what you follow for winter procedures.  It's probably safe to shut mine off now, (bears should be in hibernation, and I don't think the cold is the best for running these gel-cell batteries in) but I wanted to hold out as long as I could.  I also don't want to be destroying my batteries over the winter and having to replace them every season.  One should be able to get more than a season out of a battery, I just don't have the documentation that shows 'winter care and operation'.  One of my mentors had told me that it was as simple as turning them off when the snow began to fly, and turning them back on when the snow melts.

Surely someone else out there has had to deal with this >>> Would anyone to share their experience?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Solar Powered Fencer Winter Maintenance Procedures
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:16:42 pm »
i have not used mine in winter.  i use it for camping.  can you disconnect your lower wire, or raise it for a bit.  that would keep it from grounding out. you should also be able to google some info on use of those batteries in cold weather. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 10:00:29 pm »
I've used by Parmak solar fencer for 3 years straight with no issues. Most of the wires stay covered all winter but it doesn't drain the battery.  I don't think snow is a good conductor.   I've had the solar panel covered with snow for weeks at a time and it still keeps clicking/blinking along.  I just figured it was better to keep using the battery than let it sit in the cold.  I could be wrong, but it seems to be working for me.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:51:06 pm »
Another option is to wire the upper rows on one charger and the bottom ones on another charger...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin