Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Piping Queens Part#2-Finally a Video  (Read 6738 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Piping Queens Part#2-Finally a Video
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 11:06:43 am »
Arvin, I am surprised that more people don't know what causes the piping "voice" of the queen.  It is talked about in the ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture, in my old, old edition.  The author called it the "Queen's voice".  There is a little section on it in this book.  It is very cool.  Awesome day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 12:55:11 am »
I know this is an old thread but had a question on it.

acbs said in the video that the hive had swarmed and these two were sisters.

my questions are:

1. did they finally fight to the death??

2. could you have taken the free queen and some brood and put them in a nuc to start another hive and then just let the other queen hatch out and leave her there for that hive?

seems like it would work to me, but what do I know!!

G3

this is a very interesting video, even if it was from two years ago!! thanks acbs thats just the kind of info we need.

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline acbs

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 04:48:41 am »
G3farms,
Was surprised to see this post brought back to life.   
The only answer I can give to your first question is this, a queen survived, the starter hive grew, and it was able to survive the winter.  Which queen it was, I have no way of knowing.  Looking back I do wish I would have at least marked the one queen that had hatched to give a better idea of how things worked out.  I work as a truck driver and my work days are unpredictable as times and this was one of those times.  I was not able to check back in on the hive until a couple of days later. 
The answer to your second question would definitely be "yes, you are correct, it will work".  I think I was so amazed at what i saw and so pleased with being able to capture it on video I was just content with that.  The reason the tape ended at that point was because I ran out of tape and had no more with me to continue. :'(  I have had success a couple of times since with finding a virgin in the hive and separating them from cells just as you have stated.
Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed it.
Arvin
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown