Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swapping brood boxes  (Read 2911 times)

Offline broke-t

• New Bee
swapping brood boxes
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:07:09 pm »
Daddy bought a 3 story hive last week.  Two deep brood boxes and a shallow super.  When he checked it before bringing it home, he lifted the honey super and everything looked good.

We gave it a more thourogh checking after we got it home.  The super was mostly capped honey and the top deep chamber was full of mostly capped brood.

However when we got to the lower deep it had nothing in it except bees, empty drawn comb and some undrawn foundation.  We switched places with the two deeps hoping the queen will move up into the empty box now that it is above her. 

My question is how often do y'all rotate the brood boxes if you run more than one?

Thanks Johnny

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: swapping brood boxes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:38:56 am »
almost never :-).

do a search on here and see if you can find some different ideas.  under most circumstances, i have found swapping boxes to be of little benefit.  sometimes swapping frames is called for.  it doesn't hurt to try it once and see if you can get the bees to work the empty box. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:25:53 am »
In the area I live in, swapping brood boxes is an important and effective means of swarm control.  I would have done the same thing.  Once the honey flow has started however I dont swap them.  That is typically something that I will do 2 times each spring.

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:45:13 am »
I have read in several places (one is below) that you show swap the boxes in the spring.

http://www.bee-commerce.com/download/springStartup.pdf

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:54:42 am »
a lot of people do it.  a lot of people used to do it.  managing the brood area by arranging frames makes more sense to me.  it is also usually a faster way to get your bees to move into another box and work it.  less lifting for you.  less disruption (hopefully) for the bees.  sometimes swapping boxes is not a bad idea.  usually you can accomplish what you want without.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline WV Hillbilly

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:42:44 am »
      I overwinter in double deeps . In the spring about the time dandelion's are
strongly blooming I check my hives & if I find most of the bees are in the top box
& the bottom box mostly empty I reverse them . However , I have been reading
lately that some respected beekeepers don't reverse & don't think it is necessary .

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 08:08:46 pm »
I almost never do.  But that doesn't mean it hurt anything if it didn't break up the brood nest it should work fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything