Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making creamed honey from existing crystallised honey  (Read 2982 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Making creamed honey from existing crystallised honey
« on: October 07, 2012, 03:54:19 am »
Howdy Folks, greetings from the Land Down Under... Just wondering if creamed honey can be made from existing crystallised honey using a creamed honey seed? Can I de-crystallise the honey (what temp?) add the seed and allow it to re-crystallise? Also, if I de-crystallise honey how long would it take to reform the crystals? Or would it not re-crystallise?

Cheers

Oz

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Making creamed honey from existing crystallised honey
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »
I have done what you talk about several times.  You do need to reliquify.  The easiest way for small quantities is just put them in the dishwasher with your dishes and run the pots and pans cycle for a couple loads.  THis will reliquify they honey without overheating or burning it.  At least in my dishwasher.  I mix a pound of seed with ten in our big mixer.  Put it in the container you want it to end up in and put it on a cool concrete floor in a basement.  At least here that concrete is about sixty F year round.  The creamed honey will be set up within three weeks when done this way.  In fact it is often too hard.  Then I loosen it up with about ten seconds in the microwave so it is spreadable and stackable on toast.  I add cinnamon while mixing and judge the amount by taste.  I just want a nice flavor without a lot of bite.  It sells very well.  Probably sell a little more of it than the plain and get a dollar a pound more.  But have both.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:18:47 pm »
Vance my friend! you are a legend! thank you! that's marvellous! I'll give it a shot! I've got four weeks so I'd best get moving  :)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:39:29 pm »
i have a couple of jars from years ago that crystallized perfectly.  i have saved them for starter and it works well.  if you do it right after extraction, you don't need to warm the honey.  if it's already chunky, you do, and you must be sure that all the chunky crystals are gone.  i let mine sit a room temp in the back room that stays kind of coolish in summer to cold in winter. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 02:21:19 pm »
I read an article a few days ago that mentioned that if you do not have seed honey that you can take some crystallized honey, grind it up in a martar and pedestal, make sure it is real fine and use it as seed.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline MTWIBadger

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:35:33 pm »
Oz
I use a cheap wine cooler to cure my creamed honey.  I can set it at 57 degrees F and in two weeks I have creamed honey.
Honey will crystallize into creamed honey at different lengths of time. I made some creamed honey from knapweed which is a noxious weed know for good
honey. It took 6 weeks to crystallize into creamed honey.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:00:57 pm »
You can grind it in a flour grinder.  Or you can liquify it and recrystallize it.  But heating destroys the flavor...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything