Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is the best container to use for a powdered sugar shaker?  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
What is the best container to use for a powdered sugar shaker?
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:13:25 am »
What containers do you use to shake powdered sugar into your hives?  I have been using a flour sifter; but the holes are too big.  I end up dumping sugar on the bees instead of sifting

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: What is the best container to use for a powdered sugar shaker?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:52:55 am »
Kimbrell, when I did some powdered sugar shaking this early summer, I found that the flour sifter was a pain in the butt.  I read somewhere that one of the ideas of powdered sugar shaking was like to have an avalanche of powdered sugar to fall fairly evenly on the bees.  Don't know if that was correct advice I had read or not, but I wound up just grabbing handfulls from the bucket and kind of shaking the sugar from my clenched hand all over them. It worked well enough for me.

You will hear many responses from forum members who have tried this method.  So you will be listening and learning.  You will have to form your own opinions about what works for you.  Have a wonderful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thumper

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:29:01 am »
I use the bottle baby powder comes in. Wash it out real good, and fill with powdered sugar and a little rice(uncooked). A good hard squeeze/pump and dust galore. I keep a couple handy.

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 09:41:37 am »
I use the baby powder thing with a hole drilled in the back so I can stick the nosed of an air gun in and pressurize it.  no poofing just lots and lots of fine dust blasting out the end.

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:41:51 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  The baby powder bottle sounds like it would work for me.  The sifter spilled a lot.  I'm trying to avoid attracting ants so the less spilled the better...

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 11:47:18 pm »
2 cheap stone age (non-tech) methods are using a pint or quart jar with door screen replacing the sealing lid, just ring and screen, and using an Imirie shim with screen stretched across it to shift the sugar on the frames.  Dump the powdered sugar on the frame and use you bee brush to spread the sugar.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 11:52:15 pm »
Brian, best method I have ever heard of.  I like the sugar dumped on the Imrie shim with screen stretched over and brushing the sugar all over the bees.  Great, good for you!!!  YOu do have some pretty good thoughts on things.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 10:45:10 am »
Brian,
Great idea on the Imrie shim!  Dumping the sugar on the screen then spreading it means less spillage, and all the girls get coated.
Thanks

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 09:10:35 am »
Try this link for info on powder sugar and other methods like drone manipulation:

http://www.countryrubes.com/instructionspage4/usingpowderedsugar.html

After reaching this page click on instruction page 4. Check out Randy Oliver method. along with other goodies!!! 

2rubes has been working with powdered sugar diligently for a while. I have e-mailed them in the past and found them eager to respond and help  :).
John 3:16