Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Local beekeeper  (Read 3215 times)

Offline fruitynewt

• New Bee
Local beekeeper
« on: April 09, 2006, 07:16:44 pm »
Hi'yall as they say south of here...

I don't yet have my first hive but have been reading this board since before Christmas so I can work out how I'm going to get started. You all say to get to know a local beekeeper since so much of bee husbandry (if it can be called that) is locality dependent.

Well, I couldn't find any local beekeepers on the web and our nearest society is over an hour's drive away so I called our county offices (they're the ones that give out the beekeeping permits). 10 minutes later I had the number of a beekeeper who lives in the next town and within a few days I was being shown around his honey house and chatting over a coffee at Tim Hortons. I learned more about bees in an hour that I would have learned in a day from a book.

It turned out that this gentleman is 80 years old and has been keeping bees since he was 14 - that's 66 years of experience. I asked how much honey he gets from a hive - he gave me the answer in pails but if I did my math right it's almost 300 lbs a season per hive! When I asked if I would be wise to get started this season he told me to go buy my hive(s). Don't worry he said, there'll be lots of swarms this year so we'll get you your bees for free!

To cut a long story short this wonderfull old man has accepted me almost as if i were familly, simply on the basis that I want to get invloved in his hobby. It restores some of my faith in the world that there are still people out there that will give what they can and ask nothing in return. All to a complete stranger.

What a great way to be introduced to a new pastime.

Rick.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Local beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:55:07 am »
Nice story.

Who is TIM HORTON and should we south of you folks know him :?:  In any event I BET HIS COFFEE IN NOT AS GOOD AS OUR OWN NEW ORLEANS BLENDS  :?:  

Now if you had said " enjoying a cup of Cafe Du Monde coffee and chicory, from New Orleans LA,  like I JUST had :!:  your story would EVEN be more interesting.

www.CafeduMonde.com is the place to be in the coffee world :!: Sorry Tim Horton.

Also toll free 1-800-772-2927

You CAN use honey to sweeten if so desired. :wink:

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Local beekeeper
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 09:30:39 am »
books help but there is so much the books will not teach, nothing like hands on experience and being able to ask questions....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Local beekeeper
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:09:44 pm »
Tim Horton is the man. Hockey player drafted by the Leafs in '49. Won 4 Stanley Cups with them and then played for Buffalo, the Rangers and the Penguins.

He started a doughnut shop and with a partner quickly turned it into a franchise bohemith, on the scale of Starbucks.

"Tim" died in a car accident on his way from Toronto to Buffalo going over 100mph while more than twice the legal amount of alcohol was in his blood. That was definately not his high point.

In any case, we Canadians (esp. those of us from Toronto), think he is the man and you can eat at his shops (that his daughter now runs) all over the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Horton
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Local beekeeper
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 01:26:44 pm »
I need a volunteer to sit down and break-down the forum membership according to location (and) activity in the forum - to try and make an active list of members who JUST may be able to assist each other during trying times.

Sometime, you need nothing more than an email with a phone number or address attached to it - actually getting someone to help remove swarms, or rip apart a wall is asking too much but we all could possibly know someone that has a solution.

You can go to the membership link (above right of the main screen) click one membership and categorise by location - again THAT is why adding your location is so important.

And when doing so, it helps to know how active (number of posts and MOST RESENT POSTS also listed there) these details will all help you figure out the likeliness to getting aid from a local member.

Then again, for general questions, you have a captivated (figuratively) membership who can always advise you on what to do and when to do it.

any volunteers willing to cut and past us a usable listing of members by state and country out here? It's easy to get rid of the NON-POSTERS which make up nearly 40+ percent of EVERY forum, not just ours. Surprisingly, most people join but have little to say - there are a lot of shy people out here EVEN in an anonymous world.

Good luck in your search for help - you are very right, an hour across the table from a passionate beekeeper would net you a hundred pages of facts from the typical book on the market. People are great resources since they can be cross examined.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline fruitynewt

• New Bee
Local beekeeper
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 06:02:12 pm »
Tim Hortons's is a Canadian institution. We British go down the pub to meet. Canadians go to Tim Horton's.

r.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Local beekeeper
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 08:00:14 am »
Quote from: thomashton
Tim Horton is the man. Hockey player drafted by the Leafs in '49. Won 4 Stanley Cups with them and then played for Buffalo, the Rangers and the Penguins.

He started a doughnut shop and with a partner quickly turned it into a franchise bohemith, on the scale of Starbucks.

"Tim" died in a car accident on his way from Toronto to Buffalo going over 100mph while more than twice the legal amount of alcohol was in his blood. That was definately not his high point.

In any case, we Canadians (esp. those of us from Toronto), think he is the man and you can eat at his shops (that his daughter now runs) all over the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Horton

SOOOO you are a TIM HORTON " die " hard fan  :?:  And yet your love and adultation of a " drunk driver " was not enough to keep YOU near him in his eternal resting place.

Funny, now, whenever I will THINK about TIM HORTON, in the future there will aways be " well , he turned out to be just another DEAD drunk driver " :cry:.

Now it turns out that just not knowin' an wonderin' was a better state of affairs than having the real truth about hero's come out.  :cry:

darn, I'm sorry I asked :!:  :evil:

Oh well, still, in the coffee world my suggestion above  will hold. I'm about to go pour myself another cup of my recommendation,  :D

I use sugar to sweeten but I will pour lavish amounts of MY honey on my toast and peanut butter later. :wink:

HOCKEY  :?:  :?:  :?:   :cry:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
local beekeeper
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 10:15:44 am »
Rick,
Welcome to beekeeping, I really liked the story about you and the older gentleman. It's always nice when you can talk with someone eperienced, who is excited about bees, even after 66yrs!

Jack,
I am located in Metairie, so we go to The Morning Call, it's on 17th street right off Severn, it's just like Cafe Du Monde in the quarter. Been there for yrs and is alive and well after Katrina. When I make coffee at home I like Community Hotel Blend, but you can't beat the coffee at the morning call and cafe du monde and don't forget the beignets!!
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Local beekeeper
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 12:14:43 pm »
It is a shame. I've had drunk drivers kill one of my aunts in California and a sister in Ontario. His demise definately took him down a notch in my (as well as other) eyes.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Local beekeeper
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 06:32:46 pm »
beemaster,

If I had more time right now I would do it.   If you still dont' have anyone after May, let me know.

Amy

anything