Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not Enough Hive Frames  (Read 4032 times)

Offline bdodd444

• Brood
Not Enough Hive Frames
« on: April 18, 2005, 06:10:10 pm »
I have a problem.  I have six pounds of bees and two queens on the way.  I have two hive bodies.  However I only have 10 complete Frames with foundations.  My replacement foundations haven't arrived yet, and I am afraid my bees will get here first.  My question is:  Can I put five frames in each hive body to get the bees in and add the other complete frames when the foundations arrive?

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Not Enough Hive Frames
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 06:22:37 pm »
I say yes becuase the bees start working the center frame first and it will be at least a week before they get almost all of the 5 frames drawn out, at least that is how it worked for me. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Not Enough Hive Frames
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:30:32 pm »
Or you could cut the foundation with a pizza cutter and put half sheets or less in each frame. I just used starter strips about 1 - 1 1/2 inches wide.

BUT Mine were ferel colonies, not packages.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Not Enough Hive Frames
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 09:01:57 pm »
Jerry's method would be the safest way to go.  Cut the foundation and give them 10 frames with half sheets each.   If you only give them 5 frames, there is no guarantee they won't opt to built their own comb in the empty space vs. drawning the foundation.  After all, foundation is not natural to them and it is not their favorite thing to do.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Not Enough Hive Frames
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 09:31:56 pm »
You could also whip up a couple division boards.  Some people feel they take off alot faster with a smaller area to manage.  Then when you got the rest of your equipment, pull the boards and kick everything to the center.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Not Enough Hive Frames
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 09:46:35 am »
I'd put a full sheet in the center and 3/4" wide starter strips on the rest.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline RebelRx

• New Bee
Not Enough Hive Frames
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 11:35:53 am »
You could also make a follower board. Take a 2 x 12 and a deep fram and mark the frame out on the 2x12 and cut it out.  Then just place those on either side of the frames in the middle.  This will prevent them from building comb from the inner cover.

anything