Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Screen bottom board question  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Dange

• House Bee
Screen bottom board question
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:22:42 pm »
I am very new to beekeeping, and just received my deluxe kit.  I have a question regarding the screen bottom board while wintering hives. I live in Michigan and was wondering if going into winter if I need to place a solid board in it's place or do you let the sbb alone?
Thanks!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Screen bottom board question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:26:00 pm »
People do it both ways.   I think most close the bottom up.   Mine are open right now, but I am way south of you.

Offline Dange

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:27:37 pm »
When is a good time to close them up? Is there a certain temp range?

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:52:51 pm »
In the fall when your doing your winter preperations.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline chrissv

• New Bee
    • Steven's Bees
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:01:38 pm »
I live in central MA, and we are in the midst of the Snowpocalapse.
I run SBB's in all my hives, and the only thing I do for winter is I put a piece of 1 inch Styrofoam insulation loosely under the SBB, just to cut down the drafts. But I think some air movement is good, and my bees survived.

-- Steven

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:47:18 am »
There are several schools of thought when it comes to SBB.  I've left them open and have closed them up, and had thriving survivors in both come Spring.  My strongest colony so far (5 years) was without any bottom (just SBB) for three winters, but I closed it this past fall.  I only have one Lang open now and last check they are doing fine. 

That said, I also use Top AND bottom entrances on my Langs which I believe helps alot with condensation.  "My" Hives treated this way have NEVER had moisture issues.  I place 2 inch rigid insulation on tops of all hives.  I had moisture issues BEFORE using top entrances which I beleive provide consistant ventilation. 

I'm very fond of some Beeks in Canada, Ontario and Manitoba specifically (see beeworks .com).  Seek them out for methods used by Beeks who get "real" winters every year.  Hope this was helpful.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:40:37 pm »
Obviously bees are more hardy than most people think.  Some are trying to put them in a shed or wrap them and others are leaving the bottom open... I close the bottom... I don't put them in a shed... I don't wrap them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 10:22:32 am »
Many beekeepers are ready to die for their mesh floors. It is said "modern beekeeper's bottom"  :=()

Mesh floor arived to many countries with varroa control.

In windy place mesh floor may be fatal to hives.

In Canada there was a reseach, does mesh floor kill mites more than solid bottom.
Summer was cold and hives got so bad chalk brood that research was stopped to save the colonies.
Report summary was: "nothing good to say about mesh floor in summer".
Language barrier NOT included

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:36:24 am »
Canada is a BIG Country Finski.  I'm afraid generalisations aren't always helpful or informative, particularly if linked with a specific point of view and being represented as "the Way" to keep bees (or anything for that matter). 

There's lots of Canadian Beeks who use SBB.

thomas

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:20:48 am »
 I'm afraid generalisations aren't always helpful or informative,

Thomas old fart. Every one pick they information what they want and mostly it is such that it supports persons earlier habits.

British Isles is not big country but they say that there everyting is so extraordinary different that no outsider cannot talk about they cave age old systems.  Everything must be "national". They even cannot read European reseaches. It is only 20 miles to Europe.

On another hand, a beekeeper is a race which is allways right. - Even if he has no hives yet, he knows everything.

Draw from that Thomas

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 11:25:02 am »
Do you know that Sahara Desert is as big as USA

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:50:55 am »
I have no problem admitting that I know nothing for sure or that most times, "I don't know" is the best answer.  I can only relay what works for me and mine and that seems to be ever changing.

thomas

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:28:58 pm »
People have momory cuts for two reason: stress and dementhy.

If you aske stressed person something, often answer is I don't know.

Dementic person never anwers so. He knows everything.

Offline Dange

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 11:10:20 am »
Thanks eveyone for the advise.

Offline ONTARIO BEEKEEPER

• House Bee
    • Dancing Bee Apiaries
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 07:29:28 pm »

Hello, thought I better chime in since I am from Canada.  In Ontario winters are not as harsh as Alberta and the other central provinces.  But we still often can get weeks at a time with -25 or colder. 

A few years ago I built about 25 SBB's to give them a try.  I've had no issue with them killing the bees during the cold.  I built them with a drawer that pulls out to check the bottom. For winter I do nothing except make sure the door is closed.

I find them very handy for checking mite levels.
 If I ever built more I would be very careful to make sure the door has no tiny openings anywhere. Seems wax moths can get in through the smallest crack.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 09:49:11 am »

Hello, thought I better chime in since I am from Canada.  In Ontario winters are not as harsh as Alberta and the other central provinces.  But we still often can get weeks at a time with -25 or colder. 

A few years ago I built about 25 SBB's to give them a try.  I've had no issue with them killing the bees during the cold.  I built them with a drawer that pulls out to check the bottom. For winter I do nothing except make sure the door is closed.

I find them very handy for checking mite levels.
 If I ever built more I would be very careful to make sure the door has no tiny openings anywhere. Seems wax moths can get in through the smallest crack.

Hey thanks ONTARIO BEEKEEPER.  Is that minus 25 C or F? 

thomas