Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should i add another broot chamber?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline melnik

• New Bee
Should i add another broot chamber?
« on: August 25, 2009, 02:50:17 pm »
HI, i am continuing on the same topic where i think my bees are about to separate, so should i add another broot chamber just in case...?  This particular hive is new, i started building it in spring and they are still developing....So far i have 2 broot chambers (10 deep frm each), and it is about 1 1/2 full.  The honey super is still not set. So i was wondering, for my location, Southern New Hampshire, where we still have hot days but cooler nights, is it ok and should i add another broot chamber?

What other ways do you know how to make sure your bees dont fly away?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Should i add another broot chamber?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 03:53:59 pm »
is your brood area expanding or contracting?  at this time of the year, brood production begins to go down for most of us.  how much honey is stored for winter.  for me, it is not time to add space.  the queen is reducing laying and they are beginning to back fill the space with honey in preparation for winter.

we really need to know what is going on in your hive.  if they have 5 empty frames and you are in a cold winter climate, i would not add space. 

do you have swarm cells?  have they drawn out all frames?  are they storing honey?  are you days warm?  is there any nectar flow going on now?

it is unlikely that they are preparing to swarm at this time of the year.  that said, if they have decided to swarm (you have swarm cells, etc.) they will almost always do it in spite of your efforts.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything