Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need magnifying glasses  (Read 14179 times)

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Need magnifying glasses
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:53:44 pm »
What do us old folks need to see bee eggs when grafting ?

I am thinking along the lines of those adjustable head size band goggle type things,
they come adjustable to 10X magnification, some have lights attached.

Any recomendains ?

With a good magnifier, I will be able to actually see my shakey hands drop the egg   :'(

Thanks
Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Need magnifying glasses
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:00:58 pm »
Magnifying desk lamp mounted to a "grafting desk" works great. The lamp is a 4" dia or larger lens surrounded by a fluorescent lamp. I picked one up at Lowes for $19.

Scott 
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »
....reading glasses from the dollar store.  3.5x is what i use, and i'll say that i feel somewhat "seasick" if i'm not careful with them (i put them on when i'm in position, and take them off before i look away from the comb).

10x is very strong (too strong for me).

a grafting tool in one hand, and an led flashlight in the other does the job for me.

deknow

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:56:28 am »
A flashlight is very helpful...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:07:29 pm »
An LED headlight from Walmart is even more helpful! Leaves one hand free to drink coffee, swat mosquitos, push the dog away, etc. BTW, I use 2x reading glasses from the drug store and have no problem seeing larva and eggs.

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:34:50 am »
hardwood writes:
Magnifying desk lamp mounted to a "grafting desk" works great. The lamp is a 4" dia or larger lens surrounded by a fluorescent lamp. I picked one up at Lowes for $19.

tecumseh:
that is what I use.  for me it allows me to establish a focal length and maintain that distance plus the soft fluorescent light is nice plus.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 10:22:21 am »
Thanks for the replies;
I believe the magnifying desk lamp might be best, I've tried the drug store glasses and I cant seem to focus them in.

Thanks Again
Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 11:24:45 pm »

Scott 

GOOD CHOICE, i know about 4 beeks that use these, they love them
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:41:25 am »
Ted,

Regardless of the light or magnifying lamp, your grafting will be much easier if you put your queen you selected as your breeder on black Peirco plastic foundation in the spring.

Picking out the eggs from black foundation is better than any help from light or magnifying lamp. I do suggest you use the light and magnifying lamp, but I'm suggesting selecting eggs on white wax is difficult no matter the equipment used.

Here is a picture of the lamp we use at Bjorn Apiaries.

www.nsqba.org
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Yuleluder

• House Bee
    • Yule's Apiaries
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 12:02:02 am »
At one time I used the magnifying light pictured by bjornbee  I have graduated to using the sun and the cab or tailgate of my pickup.

Here is a picture of the lamp we use at Bjorn Apiaries.

Bjorn,

That sure is a nice looking fellow in that photo, lol!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 09:35:49 am »
Yuleluder,

It does make you feel good to remember what one once looked like, many years ago, and 30 pounds lighter....  :lau:

About time you checked in here. Welcome to the forum.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 01:10:27 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiVisor-Headband-Magnifier-Magnification/dp/B0015IQC0S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294074378&sr=8-3

I have a pair like these that are very useful if you wear corrective lenses.  You select the lens you like and it leaves your hands free to do other things.  You can add external lights but keeping the magnifier lens stable is key.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 01:18:39 pm »
i have optivisors....yet, simple $1 reading glasses from the dollar store work just as well, cost $29 less ($25 less if you buy 5 pairs of reading glasses with different magnifications), are less cumbersome, are easier to put on and take off, store more easily etc.

deknow

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 03:23:03 pm »
It sounds like you have already blown the $30 and have added $5 more for more articles to be stored away.  The desk magnifier is good for something that doesn't move (including your hands).  I don't think you will find one for a buck either.

When the lens is mounted to your face the focal distance doesn't change but it requires you to get in closer and closer as the magnification increases.  Readers are useless for someone that has bad eyes to begin with.  Options are better if your eyes are good.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 05:31:21 pm »
anyone ever try the jewelers magnifiers?  they are probably spendy.  wonder if they can be found on ebay?

yup...all kinds of stuff on there!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 07:02:26 pm »
anyone ever try the jewelers magnifiers?

Lacks field of wiew.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 07:10:15 pm »
Kathy, I tried a jeweler's loupe (the kind you have to hold in place by scrinching your eye...like a monocle) and found it to be a real pain. Nothing wrong with field of view...a cell is only so big afterall, but the focal point is only a couple of inches so you tend to block your working light. The ones that clip on to glasses might be better.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 07:50:03 pm »
For our ageing eyes.

Offline REDBEE

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 07:39:31 pm »
Down here in Texas we don't graft eggs for our queen bees ,we graft 12 hour old larva

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 08:07:49 pm »
Ya'll need to remember that everything is bigger in Texas.

anything