Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee REmoval  (Read 4592 times)

Offline daven8er

• New Bee
Bee REmoval
« on: May 29, 2010, 01:12:47 pm »
Hello everyone. I started learning about bees a month ago in order to remove a hive in one of my outbuildings. I will try to put a video on if I can figure it out. My question is this: Bees go in thru the outside of the building, so how do I know which  side of the wall (inside or outside) the comb is attached to? I have access to the inside and it is 4' X 8' sheets of Masonite for some of the wall, and an asbestos type material on the lower section. I assume the smooth surface is where the comb is attached. So should I work from the inside or outside?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bee REmoval
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 01:25:05 pm »
i would say work where it's easiest access.  they are probably attached to both sides.  i prefer outside if you can do it, but lots of times it's easier to remove the inside wallboard.

you'll have to get a moderator to post your video because you don't have enough posts yet to do it yourself.  also, if you can go into your profile and put your location, someone local can probably give you local advice.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline daven8er

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 05:03:40 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I have learned allot from this forum and everyone seems to be more than willing to help. My profile has been updated for all to see :).

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:32:44 pm »
Dave, as Kathy mentioned, approach it from the angle that you are most comfortable with. Really no way of knowing what side or both they are connected to until the wall is opened. Most of the comb sections will be attached to the top plate and vertical studs.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline daven8er

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:21:18 pm »
For my first anything, let alone a cutout, I figured there are 70 to 100 thousand bees. There are four openings with bees moving in and out constantly. There are quite a few drones also. I made a video; but am unable to post at this time (?). I built 2 TBH, one is 38" and the other is 48" long. Also built a bee vac with 3 extra inserts (bee box). Would like to do this tomorrow but will wait til monday. After reading other first cutout stories, I want to be sure I have all my bases covered. I am concerned about all the drones! If someone would like to "sponsor" me, you would understand my concern after watching the video. Once again, thank you so much for the replys and this fantastic web site!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:03:38 am »
Send it to a moderator they will post it for you. Go to top of page and click on staff list.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:25:50 am »
It seems likely you have more than one colony. How far apart are the various entrances? Describe them. Have you thought of how you will attach comb sections to the tbh frames?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Thymaridas

• New Bee
  • Remember its supposed to be fun
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 09:49:56 am »
Heavy cotton thread and a bamboo skewer works for attaching comb to the bars, but it is fiddly. I have seen them do it that way in Africa.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 09:56:45 am »
Heavy cotton thread and a bamboo skewer works for attaching comb to the bars, but it is fiddly. I have seen them do it that way in Africa.

Care to elaborate on the process?

...JP

Offline Thymaridas

• New Bee
  • Remember its supposed to be fun
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 10:06:44 am »
They used a piece of bamboo about 5 inches long, put a split in to hold the twine. They used a piece of twine about 2 1/2 feet long. Then starting at one end they pierced the comb about an inch from the top and tied it off above the frame. Then took the long tail of the twine reattached it to the bamboo and sewed the comb to the frame with stitches about an inch apart.

They used a machete to cut the comb into sections of "just the right size" before sewing it to the frame. They only sewed brood. The rest of the comb we carried back.

That was in Tanzania in the late 80's.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 10:11:34 am »
Yep, sounds like something "they" or "we" could do but not "I". I'll stick with langs for transferring comb sections on cut-outs and use my tbhs for new swarms.

...JP

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 10:21:29 am »
didn't someone show a hairclip method a few years back?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 10:45:45 am »
didn't someone show a hairclip method a few years back?

I believe Grandma dog has reported his experiences very recently, this season in fact. He claimed it is a royal pain. The transfer part may not be that bad but moving them down the road is where the problems ensue.

Probably best to do the transfer and leave them at the site for a while, if possible.

...JP

Offline daven8er

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 11:07:03 am »
They used a piece of bamboo about 5 inches long, put a split in to hold the twine. They used a piece of twine about 2 1/2 feet long. Then starting at one end they pierced the comb about an inch from the top and tied it off above the frame. Then took the long tail of the twine reattached it to the bamboo and sewed the comb to the frame with stitches about an inch apart.

They used a machete to cut the comb into sections of "just the right size" before sewing it to the frame. They only sewed brood. The rest of the comb we carried back.

That was in Tanzania in the late 80's.

I was going to use the hairclip method but this version sounds like a better and more secure possibility. I am waiting for video to download to Iddee so he can post them. I believe I do have more than one hive and hope I can keep them separate when transferring.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 12:37:15 pm »
So far, it isn't here. When did you send it?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline daven8er

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 08:45:42 pm »
Iddee, I think after all this time...The video may be there! What a mess! I am new to all of this and should take a class I guess.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 10:11:02 pm »
Yes, I didn't exactly get it. I watched it through a link.

I have called you twice without getting an answer, so I'll let you call me next.

I think you have a minimum of 3 separate hives there. They would be assessable from the outside by cutting the boards away with a skill saw. I would have to see pics of the inside to know if that would be better.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline daven8er

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 11:09:01 pm »
 I would like to thank everyone for your suggestions and knowledge. Will do my best to take pictures of the first cutout and others as I progress. Iddee, thank you for all the time you spent with this newbee. :)

anything