Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extractor difference  (Read 8285 times)

Offline Chevy

• New Bee
Extractor difference
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:54:27 pm »
Hi,

Looking at honey extractor and came across two types..

One has fixed baskets and is approx $700 for a 6 frame and the other allows the basket to rotate outwards which is 4 frame for $3,000

Obviously the price is massive and the quality is different, but is it all going to do the same or poor man pays twice and I should I get the 4 frame?

Please see attached photos

Offline Chevy

• New Bee
Re: Extractor difference
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 06:55:39 pm »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:30:46 pm by Chevy »

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:11:56 pm »
Chevy

Firstly I have not used either of the extractors but I believe that the fixed basket would mean that you would have to lift the frames out and reverse them and place them back in etc to enable you to do both sides. The extractor that allows you to rotate the baskets would mean that you would place the frames in and do a slow spin then just rotate the basket to enable you to do the other side etc. You would not have to lift the frames out each time thus making it a lot quicker.

Other members who may have used either of them may be better able to comment.

Kevin

Offline Chevy

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 09:24:26 pm »
thanks for the reply,

I should add the 6 frame is also variable speed and reversible too....

The only other difference I notices is the the cheaper one is not polished inside where as the 4 frame is polished inside and out...

I suppose the angle of the baskets would do the same thing eventually...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:26:56 pm »
For that much of a cost difference, I would go with the cheaper one by far. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 11:19:49 pm »
Just for a reference, I paid $1,000 for a 18 frame motorized stainless steel radial extractor a year ago from Mann Lake. No shipping costs. Hopefully you can find something similar, down under.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Chevy

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 11:27:31 pm »
In Australia we get ripped with the price......

Most are 2-4k.... It's a joke...

Thanks for the reference...

Offline bigsting

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 08:00:41 am »
 I would head to eBay for a cheap or spend more and head to http://www.qualitybeekeepingsupplies.com.au/index.php/catalogue-2/29-extractors/motorised for a 8 or a 12 frame rev  rather than a radial extractor

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 08:29:25 am »
I would head to eBay for a cheap or spend more and head to http://www.qualitybeekeepingsupplies.com.au/index.php/catalogue-2/29-extractors/motorised for a 8 or a 12 frame rev  rather than a radial extractor

I have their 8 frame reversible extractor. 2 thumbs up from me :) I wouldn't pay the new price for it though.
Shane

Offline bigsting

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 08:59:52 am »
would last for ever all stainless steal I have a 12 and a 9 in this style but are not all s/s 12 is more versatile you can put 6 8 9 and 10 frames in and still be balanced  I run 6 frame nucs and 10 frame hives I all so have a4 frame extractor which is OK until the wife turns the handle to fast and extracts the honey and the wax from my frames

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 12:10:47 am »
Hopefully you can find something similar, down under.
Jim

No we can't!

I think the price difference is chinese made/elsewhere made.
I am looking for a 4 frame motorized extractor as it will be easier for one of us to lift than a 6 framer.  The mates got a chinese one from ebay and it is working fine...after welding and adjustments.  He did something to stabilize the rod as he said it will break or ruin the motor with its movement.  He also had something to say about chinese manufacture. His wife has been made redundant after spinning a 2 frame plastic extractor for years.  But there are no 4 framers available now.

It is real odd there are practically no 4 frame models available from bee gear suppliers in australia.  I won't pay 3 grand for one that's for sure.

Lone

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 11:40:52 pm »
Have you tried ordering from Mann Lake. They do do exports. I have no idea what the shipping costs are but it might be worth checking out.
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/page115.html
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 12:12:38 am »
Have you tried ordering from Mann Lake. They do do exports. I have no idea what the shipping costs are but it might be worth checking out.
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/page115.html
Jim
Chevy

Mann Lake are happy to provide a quote which will include shipping etc if you wish to compare prices, I am in the process of obtaining a quote on other items and Katie is their international sales coordinator and her e mail address is katiebd@mannlakeltd.com.

Kevin

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 04:11:35 am »
These guys import and sell the Maxant extractors if you didn't already know. http://bindaree.com.au/products/extracting-equipment/
Shane

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 08:52:32 am »
Don't we need a 240 V motor here, Kanga?

Lone

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 09:43:03 am »
Don't we need a 240 V motor here, Kanga?

Lone

Lone

Mann Lake will provide 240volt motors on special orders, do not know if it is extra cost or not.

Kevin

anything