Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smart Meter Transmitter towers  (Read 5713 times)

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
Smart Meter Transmitter towers
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:12:51 am »
Hi all,
       I have been told by the power companies that    the smart meters communicate with big towers that they are putting up,
and that these towers will be much taller than the phone towers around the place. This means those of you in oz should start to see
huge towers go up in the near future. I came home from work today and lo and behold they are erecting one just up the road from me.
As far as i know we havnt had any major problems with CCD here yet, i am hoping this will remain , but i have been reading a scientific document relating to the effects of EMR on bees seems it could have a lot to do with CCD  Needless to say im rather nervous over this thing going up so local to me, heres a link to the stuff ive been reading B E E S , B I R D S  A N D  M A N K I N D  D e s t r o y i n g  N a t u r e b y ‘ E l e c t r o s m o g

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
Re: Smart Meter Transmitter towers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:44:01 pm »
Looks like a very interesting paper - I am looking forward to reading it in detail. Thank you for sharing!

Offline melliferal

• House Bee
  • @Checkmite
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 02:14:23 am »
The brochure by the Competence Initiative for the Protection of Humanity, Environment, and Democracy is not a scientific paper, it is a position statement.

The idea that cellular and wifi (etc) signals have negative effects on bees was promoted initially by the UK Independent as a misreporting of a study conducted in 2006 by the University of Landau, in which cordless (not mobile, mind) phone base stations were placed inside beehives and left running.  After a week and a half of this, the bee colonies populations began to fall (although the study notes that several control colonies also experienced losses at the same time).  

Other studies have been done since, but all require the EMF-emitting devices to be installed in the hives themselves and made to run continuously for days before the bees began to express clear displeasure with the arrangement (I tend to think they were simply annoyed by all the telemarketing calls).

Unless you keep your cell phone inside your beehive, it doesn't actually seem like there's much to worry about from EMR.
Recently moved; re-keeping in 2014.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 02:24:17 am »
The brochure by the Competence Initiative for the Protection of Humanity, Environment, and Democracy is not a scientific paper, it is a position statement.

The idea that cellular and wifi (etc) signals have negative effects on bees was promoted initially by the UK Independent as a misreporting of a study conducted in 2006 by the University of Landau, in which cordless (not mobile, mind) phone base stations were placed inside beehives and left running.  After a week and a half of this, the bee colonies populations began to fall (although the study notes that several control colonies also experienced losses at the same time).  

Other studies have been done since, but all require the EMF-emitting devices to be installed in the hives themselves and made to run continuously for days before the bees began to express clear displeasure with the arrangement (I tend to think they were simply annoyed by all the telemarketing calls).

Unless you keep your cell phone inside your beehive, it doesn't actually seem like there's much to worry about from EMR.

Talking to a local a few months back they knew a local beekeeper who lost all his hives  after a phone tower got installed about 100 meters away,(he blames the tower) My mind is open on the possible effects but i don't trust politicians and industry bodies to tell me the whole truth about things, sometimes the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Offline melliferal

• House Bee
  • @Checkmite
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:09:27 am »
There's always the possibility; but don't forget those folks who keep their bees in proximity to such installations who don't make the blogosphere because their bees suffer no ill effects whatsoever outside the norm.

Obviously the best test is a dedicated multi-year experiment with a goodly number of colonies.  But few are willing or able to commit the resources (perhaps a university would be best suited for this).

I have my own doubts as to whether cell towers are responsible for CCD simply because they were already fairly prolific as much as a decade before CCD first broke out, and there doesn't seem to have been a surge in tower construction during or before its introduction, at least in the US.  However, disease, parasites, and chemicals were already killing bees before the first cell towers were built.
Recently moved; re-keeping in 2014.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 02:31:19 am »
T
I have my own doubts as to whether cell towers are responsible for CCD simply because they were already fairly prolific as much as a decade before CCD first broke out, and there doesn't seem to have been a surge in tower construction during or before its introduction, at least in the US.  However, disease, parasites, and chemicals were already killing bees before the first cell towers were built.

Yes dont know if the same happened over there but over here we went from analog to digital the higher you go in frequency the smaller the antenna has to be  the rf behaves differently on objects, cant explain it real good but microwave needs line of sight and hf tends to bend around things more, i guess time will tell all things

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:51:28 am »
Does anyone know if high transmission lines affect a bee colony in any way?

There is a high voltage transmission line that goes through my property and the beehives will be situated nearby.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 08:01:36 pm »

There is a high voltage transmission line that goes through my property and the beehives will be situated nearby.

there is only one way to find out for sure, put one there and see

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 11:04:45 pm »

Too right, well I will post my findings once I get a beehive. I have a unique opportunity to run a pretty interesting experiment, as due to the way the land rises, there is a point where the distance from the conduit of high transmission line from the ground is no more than 15 meters away.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 07:03:02 pm »

There are so many claims of things effecting bees but one thing i see time and time again are claims about pesticides, there are too many for it not to be true, i wish we as a nation could get more vocal and make this country gm free and less pesticides.

Too right, well I will post my findings once I get a beehive. I have a unique opportunity to run a pretty interesting experiment, as due to the way the land rises, there is a point where the distance from the conduit of high transmission line from the ground is no more than 15 meters away.

anything