Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Use of medium frames in deep bodies.  (Read 6365 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Use of medium frames in deep bodies.
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:35:43 am »
As I understand it ypu can stagger deep and medium frame in a deep body so that the colony can increase drone production for queen rearing purposes.  Is this true or will this make a mess with criscrossed burr conb?
Later,
Ray

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Use of medium frames in deep bodies.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:44:25 am »
No, it does not make a mess.

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/combinformation.html

scan down to the part on foundationless comb.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline lazy shooter

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:52:39 am »
I did this once.  It was a disaster.  The bees built comb on the bottom of the medium frame.  I had a hive of bees that did not want to move from their 10 frame deep box up into a 10 frame medium box.  It was my thought that I could remove a deep frame and replace it with a medium frame.  I did this and the bees immediately built comb on the medium frame and on the bottom of the medium frame.  This happened when I had only had my bees for a few  months.  The bees will use all of the space in the brood chamber.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:44:00 am »
I had that happen once also Lazy.

Joe

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:18:12 pm »
I have medium frames in my deep boxes right now. I eventually want to switch to all mediums. Most of the time, the bees build drone comb below the frame and it can easily cut off and then move the frame into the medium box. If it is worker brood when I move them, I can cut it off and put it in a medium frame.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 01:46:41 pm »
I have medium frames in my deep boxes right now. I eventually want to switch to all mediums. Most of the time, the bees build drone comb below the frame and it can easily cut off and then move the frame into the medium box. If it is worker brood when I move them, I can cut it off and put it in a medium frame.
Jim
Yeah Jim that's where I'm going with this. I plan to turn my deep boxes int multiple chamber mating nucs. Gonna use yje old deep frames for traps per Bailey's suggestion.
Later,
Ray

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:53:42 pm »
I got 2 DEEP six frame NUCs last year.  Since I only use 'foundationless mediums' I just fabricated a box/false bottom inside 2 medium supers, placing the deeps in the middle above the box/false bottom with mediums all around.  It worked very well.  In no time I was replacing those deeps w/ mediums.

Bees will fill the voids that beeks provide them.  

Don't give them the opportunity.  Any empty space under the bottom frames will soon be hanging w/ comb and is a mess to correct w/ cutting out comb and placing in a frame.  Why bother?

I use all my old deeps for vent/feed boxes, swarm catchers and honey storage.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 04:11:43 pm »
>As I understand it ypu can stagger deep and medium frame in a deep body so that the colony can increase drone production for queen rearing purposes.  Is this true or will this make a mess with criscrossed burr conb?

You can just put an empty frame between two drawn ones and get a lot of drones as well, but yes it works most all the time.  Once in a while they will crosscomb when you do this, but usually they just continue the comb on down, ESPECIALLY if the combs on each side are drawn and full of brood.  It's more iffy if you do this between frames of foundation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 05:43:19 pm »
Thanks everyone for the answers and overlooking the typos I use my Android phone quite a bit. :-D
Later,
Ray