Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees suckering me in  (Read 1895 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
bees suckering me in
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:28:51 pm »
This is my first hive ever. I have the buckfast bees. they seem to be extremely calm bees, so much so , i am tempted at times not to wear my full bee suit when i go to check on the hive. i am sure they are suckering me in , and when they see me with out my bee suit i will hear this tiny bugle blowing "charge"

I understand buck fast are one of the more docile bees, which bees are the more aggressive, and is aggressiveness necessarily related to honey production?

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
Re: bees suckering me in
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:00:47 am »
Just wait till your hive makes a virgin Queen and she mates with a Italian drone. you will have hot nasty bees.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

bigbearomaha

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 08:19:40 am »
I guess if you feel afraid to be stung, you can wear that getup as long as you like.

The most important thing is being calm and comfortable while you work with the bees.  If you are agitated, moving with lots of fast movement and jerking or shaking around, that will affect the bees temperament.

If wearing a suit makes you calmer, and more confident to move slowly and deliberately, then go with what helps you do that.

The hardest thing about working with bees is mentally accepting that you WILL get stung.

Once you have truly accepted that in your mind, you will find you don't need a suit at all.  At least all the time.

There are certain circumstances  where you are knowingly going in to agitate bees that no amount of calm on your part will change their temperament quickly.  Like doing a removal from a house.

Big Bear

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:03:42 am »
When you are inspecting the hive, make sure and smash any bees you see toting a bugle.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:34:49 am »
Last year I started with my first hive of Carniolans which are very calm and I love working with them.  I go 2 new hive's this year of Italians which are not so nice, well I can say they are nasty little things.  So it might just be that the buckfest are real easy to work with.  My brother-in-law swears by them and loves them. 
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:09:53 am »
After his buckfast supercede a few times and cross with other strains, he will swear at them, rather than by them. The hybrids are the hottest.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:22:33 am »
LOL idee, he's had them for little more than 10 yrs and still loves them.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 11:23:45 am »
He's lucky.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 09:44:50 pm »
ok went to check on them 2night and I must say that was the most unhappy I have seen them. they had loud buzzing and had a couple bumpers come and smack me in the hood. I guess they are mad about the rain we have had, or one of them has a wireless connection and read that I thought they were docile.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 09:50:55 pm »
Ya, they read that you said about them.   Next time you'll think twice about free wifi in the hive.

anything