Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Stupid question.....  (Read 1527 times)

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
Another Stupid question.....
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:51:10 pm »
OK we have 2 Brushy Mountain Garden hives. Anyway we have at least 2 med frames that are capped on one side but not the other. Should we wait until ALL frames are capped or can we harvest them now?

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Re: Another Stupid question.....
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 05:56:58 pm »
Do they have enough honey stored up for the winter elsewhere in the hive?  If they do you could harvest those frames if you are itching for honey because you will pop them right back in the hive.  If you can stand to wait I would, just because one frame total hardly seems worth all the cleanup that you will have to do after.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 06:17:54 pm »
Anytime you have a frame that has capped honey on both sides, you can pull it.  Is it in your honey supper?   How many boxes are you running?   

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:02:26 am »
I would never harvest an uncapped frame.  One that is 90% capped, yes, but uncapped, never.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything