Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tip on box assembly  (Read 2335 times)

Offline ikeepbees

• New Bee
Tip on box assembly
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:12:25 pm »
I learned this tip from Walt Wright.

After assembly of your hive bodies / supers, and before painting, take a rasp and file off a small amount under the bottom corners. I just do the two opposite corners that could end up as the right rear corner as I keep the hive tool in my right hand. Hit it with sandpaper, and it's ready for painting. Now when I need to insert that hive tool between boxes, I have a starting point. This minimizes the damage done to the box that I sometimes cause when the squared corners are perfectly mated.
Rob Koss

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Tip on box assembly
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:44:15 pm »
Thats a good idea!

I do the same thing, just over time with the tool as this is what it is try to avoid.  Never thought about doing this...

Rick
Rick

Offline Doby45

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 03:48:57 pm »
What I was planning to do with my supers is set my tablesaw to a depth of about 1/8" and place the fence almost touching the blade and then run the bottom two long sides of the super.  This would basically make a 1/8" by 1/8" groove along the bottom end of the super and allow you to put a hive tool in there.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 06:54:06 pm »
Thank you for the great idea!  I never thought of it & my boxes look like rabid raccoons have been climbing!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard