Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AFB spores  (Read 11928 times)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: AFB spores
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 02:27:28 pm »

I apologize if I have caused any confusion

Never mind.  I have had bees 45 years but 5 years ago forum friends told me that AFB spores stand boiling temperature. I was sure that they die as other bacterias in over 70C temperature.

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 06:55:45 am »
when i have my colonies tested, i cut a section of the comb that contains sealed brood. ideally the brood is still in the soft larval stage not almost fully formed into pupa.  then i capture about 30 live bees and send them along to be tested.

the contents of the adult bee gut are smeared and examined under a microscope.  since it's the university that does the tests, i was fortunate to be able to examine the slide since they used a teaching microscope with a pointer.  my slides didn't have any signs of AFB spores, but i was shown a slide that did have the spores.  the spores look rod-like and slightly elongated.  the microbiologist explained to me that there is a type of spore which looks very similar and they call it the lactic type.  thats the good kind of bacteria.

it's not only the presence of the spores they look at, but also the number and movement. once they see suspicious spores, they start making a culture test and that takes some time because they have to grow it in a medium.  the culture test is the most definite and unarguable and thats when you start praying while waiting for the results LOL.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 02:14:38 pm »
when i have my colonies tested, i cut a section of the comb that contains sealed brood. ideally the brood is still in the soft larval stage not almost fully formed into pupa.  then i capture about 30 live bees and send them along to be tested.

the contents of the adult bee gut are smeared and examined under a microscope.  since it's the university that does the tests, i was fortunate to be able to examine the slide since they used a teaching microscope with a pointer.  my slides didn't have any signs of AFB spores, but i was shown a slide that did have the spores.  the spores look rod-like and slightly elongated.  the microbiologist explained to me that there is a type of spore which looks very similar and they call it the lactic type.  thats the good kind of bacteria.

it's not only the presence of the spores they look at, but also the number and movement. once they see suspicious spores, they start making a culture test and that takes some time because they have to grow it in a medium.  the culture test is the most definite and unarguable and thats when you start praying while waiting for the results LOL.

best info so far, thank you very much tig!

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 04:58:52 am »
you're welcome mici.  unfortunately i didn't ask the magnification of the teaching microscope.  i have my brood samples tested every 6 months for my peace of mind.  if your friend has access to a laboratory, maybe in a university, he can ask if they can test his sample and request that he be present.  remember, the microscope only shows what maybe "suspicious" looking spores. if the colony doesn't show any field signs of AFB,  you should proceed to have a culture done to remove any doubt.

last may when i had my colonies tested, they found a lot of "suspicious" and possibly AFB spores.  what made it bad was there was a great number present and very actively moving in each sample. to be on the safe side, i quarentined all the bees in that one apiary which showed the spores and waited for the culture test results. thankfully it turned out the be the lactic type which was good!  but i had a lot of sleepless nights and stressed filled days until the culture results came out LOL.

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 06:26:22 am »
i forgot to mention the rationale why they do the microscopic test on the adults first.  the premise is that if the colony does have AFB and the adult bees have a lot of the spores, then the brood will be overflowing with the spores since AFB is primarily a brood disease.  the culture test will be done on the brood once suspicious spores are found.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 07:14:40 pm »
the college that was asking about it, was asking whether it's reasonable to buy a microscope for that matter.
however i do have access to my university microscopes, i've already arranged to go check my honey, just to see, what there's actually to see, just have to get some time...darn.

if it's a school microscope i'm sure it's no more than 10x40, i hope we get some nice days so i can get a fresh bee or two, hehe.

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 09:18:49 pm »
hi mici,

i checked with the university about the microscope needed.  you will be needing one with an oil emersion lens.  thats usually with a 1000 magnification.
gl with your test!

anything