Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Painting oxalic acid onto new hives for varroa control?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline jpryce

• New Bee
Painting oxalic acid onto new hives for varroa control?
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:20:50 am »
I've been reading a lot about varroa and oxalic acid use, trickle and vaporizor.  What do you think about painting a weak solution of oxalic acid onto the interior wood of a hive?  Would it be too much?  Has anyone ever heard of it being done?  Don't worry I wouldn't try it with out hearing if it's been done successfully and safely.  Just a thought.  It sounds as if varroa can not become resistant to oxalic acid.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Painting oxalic acid onto new hives for varroa control?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:30:36 am »
jpryce.  I don't think that would be a very good thing at all.  I am not even sure that it would accomplish anything at all.  The inside of the bee colony should not even be painted.  It should be a pure place for the bees to live, wood, nothing else to contaminate anything within the colony.  This thought is something that I don't even understand actually.  Maybe this type of action has been done somewhere, but it seems like a very far fetched idea.  Others will give you some good information, but certainly, I think it would be a bad thing.  Have a wonderful day, with health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 02:35:43 am »

a colony stands 1,5 g dosage oxalic acid  as under 5% liguid.
Another dosage is then harmfull.
Some dosage kills already the whole hive.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 03:07:01 am by Finski »
Language barrier NOT included

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:32:56 pm »
Even if you could paint it inside the hive and it was effective, I imagine that its effect would wear off as the"paint" aged.  As with vaporizing you confine them for about 10 minutes with the vapor and then let them come and go as they please.  It seems a short quick shot of the stuff would most effective!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 01:09:58 am »
'Bees must have a skin contact to oxalic acid that it works. In fumigation OA makes fine crýstals in the hive. In trickling sugar works like a glue and make bees  skin acid dirty. The strengt of acid must be just proper.

In trickling one invention was " 5 ml per seam". Results became better compared to methd that you just spray stuff on the cluster.

These systems are simple now but their developing has taken years.

It is acidity which kills mites. Too much acidity and it kills bees.

They have researched that if you put 100 ml 1,5 % oxalic acid, it is not same at all if you put 50 ml 3% acid.

Twice trickling is harmfull. The cluster will be smaller in spring.

However the honey after  trickling has very small amount of oxalic. Carrot has 100 times more and potato 10 times more.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:42:02 am by Finski »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:09:03 pm »
Using the oxalic acid sugar water trickling, it is only to be one once per year, no more.  It must also be done during a broodless period, otherwise it will kill the brood.  Only trickle once per year, standard rules.  Have that wonderful and great day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 06:38:02 pm »
Using the oxalic acid sugar water trickling, it is only to be one once per year, no more.  It must also be done during a broodless period, otherwise it will kill the brood.  Only trickle once per year, standard rules.  Have that wonderful and great day, health.  Cindi

Just my opinion, but isn't trickling water on the bees sort of detrimental to the hive?  Like when condensation in the hives drips on the bees and causes them to leave the hive? 

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 11:32:40 pm »
Just my opinion, but isn't trickling water on the bees sort of detrimental to the hive?  Like when condensation in the hives drips on the bees and causes them to leave the hive?

Trickling water on bees isn't detrimental unless of course it's a lot of water...like really soaking them down.  At one point or another, many beeks spray bees down with a sugar solution prior to package installation (especially if they can't install the packages for a day or two), and I've heard some do it as an alternative to smoking.  The thing that is bad in terms of the condensation is when it freezes on the bees.  I've had the inside of hives rained in, and the bees made it just fine.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 03:27:49 am »

Just my opinion, but isn't trickling water on the bees sort of detrimental to the hive? 

Not at all. Thousands of beekeepers use this method and it is the best ever invented.

It works on area where bees have a total brood break. As well it works when you clean swarm from mites.

The method is about 10 years old and invented in Italy by professor Nanetti.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 01:37:26 pm »

Thousands of beekeepers use this method and it is the best ever invented.

Is that an opinion or a fact?

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 02:46:25 am »

Is that an opinion or a fact?

Sorry, hundred of thousands is the better expression...
Only in Denmark there are 4 000 beekeepers of which 90% use OA trickling.
http://www.biavl.dk/index.php?Itemid=50&id=114&option=com_content&task=view

The cost per hive is 0,2 $
no residues in the hive
treatment in 30 seconds per hive
very high death rate

I use only trickling against varroa. We have so short brood period. I have 6 months from April to September.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:02:21 am by Finski »

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 10:53:37 am »
Great information Finski, thanks!  Can you give me a detailed explanation of how you trickle oxalic acid?