Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feral Hogs and Bees  (Read 2619 times)

Offline millipede

• House Bee
    • Bayou Bees
Feral Hogs and Bees
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:24:31 pm »
 I have a friend who is going to plant several fields in on his property. We frequently hunt there and see wild pigs all the time. We were discussing placing a few hives around his plantings and we started wondering if hogs would knock them over to get at the honey inside? Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Feral Hogs and Bees
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 10:34:32 pm »
i've got hogs on my place and haven't had a problem yet.  i googled it a few months ago when they first showed up and couldn't find any cases of it but it seems reasonable. 

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 10:42:19 pm »
I have hives on a farm that has lots of wild hogs. I worried about the same thing since a hog will eat anything. So far no problems.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 12:01:29 am »
Guys I'd be more worried about bears myself then the hogs.  Know a guy to keeps bees around wild hogs and so far haven't heard him say a word about the hogs but the bears on the other hand tore up one of his bee yards.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:40:37 am »
Could you build something similar to a deck with removable stairs to place them on? (then you'd have to worry about falling off of it) Or make solid higher stands to set the hives on? (Oh my back!) I know it doesn't sound practible but it would probably be better than investing all that time and effort just to have your hives tore up.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:56:50 am »
I think it is always best to put an electric fence around the hives.  A solar charger solves the battery issue.  Any large animals can and sometimes do tip over hives.  The likely hood goes up as the density of animals goes up.  In other words having some hives in with cattle on open range is a slight risk.  Having some hives in with cattle in a small fenced area is much higher.  I don't have a lot of experience with wild hogs, but the density would be the issue to me.  Even horses will eat the entire hive, frames and all once they get a taste for the honey if there aren't a lot of bees in it.  I have chewed up boxes that a ruined from horses...

A fence is cheap insurance.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:24:08 am »
I think it is always best to put an electric fence around the hives.  A solar charger solves the battery issue.  Any large animals can and sometimes do tip over hives.  The likely hood goes up as the density of animals goes up.  In other words having some hives in with cattle on open range is a slight risk.  Having some hives in with cattle in a small fenced area is much higher.  I don't have a lot of experience with wild hogs, but the density would be the issue to me.  Even horses will eat the entire hive, frames and all once they get a taste for the honey if there aren't a lot of bees in it.  I have chewed up boxes that a ruined from horses...

A fence is cheap insurance.

i'm lowering the density every chance i get.  my mini 14 is earning notches.  when it cools off i'm going to put a night vision scope on my  .204 and have some real fun.

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 12:42:38 pm »
I have hives out on a farm that has hogs.  They stayed there for several months and the pigs didn't touch em.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:49:04 pm »
I have hives on a farm that has lots of wild hogs. I worried about the same thing since a hog will eat anything. So far no problems.

Steve

steve, i was at the forestry department today and those guys were telling me we have bears around.  something ran across the road the other day during one of our downpours and i told myself it was a big hog and not a bear cub but now i'm wondering.  anyway, if you have bees near the flint you might want to run a hot wire around them.

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 12:05:13 am »
There are lots of hogs in a couple spots I keep hives.
No problems so far..

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 12:20:00 am »
We have hogs in Osceola national forest and the commercial beeks never had fences until the bears moved into this area. Caused a lot of damage the first year they returned.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline millipede

• House Bee
    • Bayou Bees
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 01:20:34 am »
I don't think we have bears yet but they are trying to get the populations back up. I might follow the electric fence advice as well as put them on a hefty stand and strap it down.
Thanks for the advice guys.

anything