Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New nuc hive, to feed or not to feed......  (Read 6935 times)

Offline marliah

• House Bee
New nuc hive, to feed or not to feed......
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:49:45 am »
I purchased my new hive about a week and a half ago, they have been really busy on the hot sunny days, but those have been few and far beween here in Maine. When i bought them the seller gave me a full frame of capped honey in addition to the five frame nuc and said i shouldnt have to feed them. I checked them three days after delivery to make sure they didnt need a new box and hey hadnt drawn anything on the new frames yet but there was brood and capped honey on some of the old frames and everythin looked good, so i just left them be for the last week and was planning to check in again today but its raining and cold.....how long should i assume a full frame of honey will lasta. Five frame nuc before i start feeding them? I plan to check them the next nice day but that may not be til tuesday from the looks of the forecast.

Thanks in advance!
Tara
beekeeper in central Maine
Finally getting bees again! 6/12/13

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
Re: New nuc hive, to feed or not to feed......
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:58 am »
It won't hurt to offer them some syrup or sugar. If they're finding something better, they won't take it. Either way, it will put your mind at ease.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:05:39 pm »
 I put feeders in my hives when I first got them back in April. I ended pulling them out 5 days later. Even with all the rain and cool days (55-65 degrees), they were still bringing in a lot of pollen and nectar.
 Before adding a feeder, take a peek inside and see what their doing. If they're building and storing nectar, I wouldn't worry about feeding them.
 I went out and looked at the hives this morning. I was 60 and very cloudy and the bees were coming and going almost as if it was a warm sunny day.

Offline njfl

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:13:03 pm »
I'd be surprised if they went through that much honey so quickly in the spring.  But still, as Oblio13 said, it doesn't hurt, and if they don't need it they won't take it, then you can remove the feeder.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:57:38 pm »
If 80% of lower box is drawn out, I would add a second box and then begin feeding so they will have stores to go into the winter with. If there is nectar where you are, the bees will eat very little sugar water. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 07:16:42 pm »
Compromise feed them alittle. a pint or so at a time.  if they need it they will use it. if they don' they won't.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 01:56:56 am »
Five frame nuc before i start feeding them?

You can only spoli the nuc with feeding. Now they get food from nature. They have food store in their hive.
It depends how old the brood are and when they emerge and when the colony is going to grow.
It depends how old brood frames the seller has put there.

Keeps hand off from any syrup. The bee colony is not a big which fattens when feeded.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 01:58:03 am »
It won't hurt to offer them some syrup or sugar. If they're finding something better, they won't take it. Either way, it will put your mind at ease.

Not so at all.

If you want your small hive to swarm, feed it.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 02:01:08 am »
If 80% of lower box is drawn out, I would add a second box and then begin feeding so they will have stores to go into the winter with. If there is nectar where you are, the bees will eat very little sugar water. -Mike

What in heck? This is middle of summer, add new box and feeding? It is still June.

This is not time  to think winter stores.

It takes time that bees fill the first box.
Then add next box under recent. Bees move there with their own time, they draw foundations when they are able to do it.
When the lower box is half full of brood, swap the boxes.

.NO FEEDING BEFORE AUTUMN

Offline Mircea_63

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 04:03:31 am »
I purchased my new hive about a week and a half ago, they have been really busy on the hot sunny days, but those have been few and far beween here in Maine. When i bought them the seller gave me a full frame of capped honey in addition to the five frame nuc and said i shouldnt have to feed them. I checked them three days after delivery to make sure they didnt need a new box and hey hadnt drawn anything on the new frames yet but there was brood and capped honey on some of the old frames and everythin looked good, so i just left them be for the last week and was planning to check in again today but its raining and cold.....how long should i assume a full frame of honey will lasta. Five frame nuc before i start feeding them? I plan to check them the next nice day but that may not be til tuesday from the looks of the forecast.

Thanks in advance!

Some beekeppers use a scale (weigh) and they know if the forager bring some nectar. Then it have not a natural grow of weigh. they feed just a litle for stimulating  laying. 100-150 ml syrup 1/1
 To much  => your honey will bee mixed with syrup... To much  blocking the nest and the queen can`t laying.

Important in August, if the foragers don`t bring pollen, you will have less brood and you need to feed them with protein food. You need a strong colony for overwintering.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 09:46:46 am »

they feed just a litle for stimulating  laying. 100-150 ml syrup 1/1

Sugarwater does not stimulate laying.
It only stuck the small laying area and hives swarm. I have read that hundreds of time in forum when beginner gets a small colony to swarm, which should not swarm in that size.

Important in August, 

No need to think August. Pollen patty or added proteins are not good for wintering bees.
It is better to rear 5 colony big during summer and not to think tricks after active summer.

5 frame colony is good at the end of June. It will be fine for winter.

Offline Mircea_63

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 11:26:18 am »

It only stuck the small laying area and hives swarm. I have read that hundreds of time in forum when beginner gets a small colony to swarm, which should not swarm in that size.

Well, sugarwater does not stimulate itself, but create the sensation to the bees, they have harvest.

No need to think August. Pollen patty or added proteins are not good for wintering bees.
It is better to rear 5 colony big during summer and not to think tricks after active summer.

If no pollen, no brood. If no pollen or protein, no vitellogenin. If you like I try to send a link.

May be you have right, i don`t know, but I prepare my hive for foraging. I stimulate it for have a big colony, I get it space,I change the swarming Queen. With syrup, bees is building more quick a new comb, and the strong colony bring a lot off honey.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 12:00:19 pm »

Well, sugarwater does not stimulate itself, but create the sensation to the bees, they have harvest.

If no pollen, no brood. If no pollen or protein, no vitellogenin. If you like I try to send a link.

May be you have right, i don`t know, but I prepare my hive for foraging. I stimulate it for have a big colony, I get it space,I change the swarming Queen. With syrup, bees is building more quick a new comb, and the strong colony bring a lot off honey.

I think that we have discussed this same before

anything