Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first swarm this year  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
My first swarm this year
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:36 pm »
Well every body has been getting swarms, I finally got one today.  They didn't seem to want to cooperate.  They were up aways in a tree.  Tried to sweep them off the limb, then tried to get a deep up to them.  Most did go in both times, didn't get the queen and out they came.  After the try with the deep right under them they left.  They were going everwhere, finally settled down in a Crape Myrtle and I tried again.  Got them that time.  They didn't all want to get into the deep.  Some on the sides and in front.  Where I was going with them was about 300 yards away.  I put them in a wagon behind the 4 wheeler, no top or entrance closed, pulled them down to my new yard.  Put them on some flat block, that had already been leveled.  Brushed the edges of the top off and put on inner cover and top.  Eased a board feeder and sugar syrup jar in front and the entrance reducer.  They are doing fine, right next to field.

Joe

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Re: My first swarm this year
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:33:24 pm »
That was too cool.  Congrads and way to go Joe D.

You've got my hopes for one. :)

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:36:54 pm »
That was a lot of work for free bees. Anything over 8 feet, I would just wave at them and walk away.
Grats on getting them.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:43:25 pm »
Thanks, as for passing on them, there was one swarm last year I didn't get.  It was in the top of an oak tree 40 to 50 feet high.  I have kept on until I got the rest.  I have a few more supers this year to fill.  Ran out of supers to put them in last year.  I caught 2  that I gave away because was out.  Good luck to y'all.

Joe

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:45:17 pm »
Glad ya got some swarms coming Joe!

anything