Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm recovery at night  (Read 2343 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Swarm recovery at night
« on: March 09, 2013, 12:39:52 am »
I received a swarm notification after dark a couple of days ago. I called them and someone else had called them first and was going to get it the next morning. If I had been the first to call
I was thinking of getting that night. It was at waist level in a tree.
Has anyone done this and how did it turn out?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Swarm recovery at night
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:04:44 am »
first thaughts are usually best, procrastination is for us old folks. at night you are gona get tickled. dont fly as much but sho crawl. at night always use red lite around bees. sure easier in the daylight
to bee or not to bee

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:29:38 am »
Bees don't fly at night , if you drop them they will stay were they land and crawl about.

I have collected a swarm at night, it was big and I got 70% of it and went by the next day to look things over and had to pick up the rest.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 06:55:37 am »
I have shook many right at dark.   You get home from work and find a swarm out.   By the time you dig stuff out it is about dark.  Easy with the fact they don't fly.   Shake, close it up and walk away to go get supper.   You can check them later or first thing in the morning.   But as long as it is dark, the swarm will stay on the ground after you shake them because they do not fly. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:30:29 pm »
Thanks for the replys Allen and Ed. I figured it would be OK but have not heard any one talk about it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything