Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Idea for separating supers easily with no damage.  (Read 4334 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Idea for separating supers easily with no damage.
« on: February 27, 2006, 02:37:29 am »
It has occured to me that if I was to get a length of fishing line of thin copper wire, attach a bit of wood to each end for handles then I would have a tool.

I could slip it in the crack between the Supers and pull through to the other end. This would cut any Burr comb etc clean in two like a hot knife.

The top box should simply lift off then.

Using the device heated in boiling water might be even better.

Your thoughts please. Has this been tried before?

Offline Andrew Tyzack

• New Bee
    • http://www.thelandgallery.com
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 05:13:46 am »
Try a catering company - you should be able to buy something similar for cutting cheese. They also use the same for cutting clay - try the nearest pottery?

Andrew

Offline ian michael davison

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 06:13:27 am »
Hi all
Just hope your Queen is not between boxes at the time and numerous other bees. Stick to the good old fashioned hive tool, there should not be that much brace comb if your boxes have the correct bee space.
The more bees you squish the more defensive the colony will be.

Regards Ian

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Windshield cutting out wire
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 07:57:45 am »
or the braided wire used for  auto windshield removal would be good.

A garrot is what you are advocating.  If it works, fine. If not, then keep it to use for it's intended purpose in the future :wink:

Actually I don't think much of that wire idea.  I use a three inch scraper that is fairly rigid and insert it into the crack to break the seal then use the hive tool.  Minimum damage that way.

Mick, with your newly acquired woodworking skills making new boxes should be a snap. :P

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Windshield cutting out wire
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 09:29:58 am »
Quote from: Jack Parr

Actually I don't think much of that wire idea.

Me either, seems like a lot of extra work/time  and yet another tool.  I also don't believe once cut the super would lift right off.  My bet is by the time you get across,  the side you started at would be stuck together again by the weight of the super pressing down.

Good thinking,  but not pratical.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 12:28:27 pm »
Just hope your Queen is not between boxes at the time and numerous other bees. Stick to the good old fashioned hive tool, there should not be that much brace comb if your boxes have the correct bee space.
The more bees you squish the more defensive the colony will be.

my thoughts exactly

Offline gsferg

• House Bee
    • http://www.sweettimeapiary.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 06:50:40 pm »
A garrot is probably more trouble than it's worth, with all the attendant problems of cutting bees in half, snapping your wire, pulling your hive over (??) and what not.

I have noticed having looked at a lot of very old boxes that they tend to wear out at the corners, top and bottom, and I suspect this is due to prying them apart with a hive tool. They get chewed up and a gap forms, then naturally you use that gap to stick your tool in and it gets larger, etc. A piece of sheet metal to reinforce the corners and give some protection from the prying hive tool might make sense...
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 08:13:56 pm »
The garrot has been used like this by others.  Some like it.  Some don't.  I just pry the boxes apart and then try to catch the end bars with the hive tool if they are burred together.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 01:43:36 am »
To cut burr with wire will be disaster. Never heard that even that someone have tried. But you will se what happens when you do it: hundreds of bees in pieces.

Knife is enough to take boxes apart. I use blunt knife. Sharp knife will spoil wood parts.

If box are too tightly burred together I take them apart  frame by frame. This is very seldom.

Offline ian michael davison

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 02:53:21 am »
Hi all
So who will upset Finsky now then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Regards Ian

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 03:11:17 am »
Thanks guys. Yes I think you are correct. They would stick together pretty quickly. Dead bees....think I will pass on my brilliant idea.

That sheetmetal is a good idea I reckon.

Geeeeeeeez, I wouldnt like to bump into Finsky with evil on my mind. Not when hes working with bees oh noooooooooo those knifes, a cold morning, some vodka, oohhhh here he comes RUN!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 05:11:58 am »
http://www.ragweedforge.com/mora.jpg

These are Swedish design.

"Bye a Mora, it will let nobody suffer pain"

Offline Wombat

• House Bee
    • http://www.firstbees.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 08:39:40 pm »
"Buy a Mora: Great for opening up your hives, slicing cheese, or killing bad guys on the go!"

wombat
www.firstbees.blogspot.com
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-St. Philo of Alexandria