Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The great divide: a Taranov split  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
The great divide: a Taranov split
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:28:46 am »

Just thought y'all might find this interesting.

Kinda neat. I know this was a TBH but it stands to reason it would work on any hive type.

Enjoy.

http://www.honeybeesuite.com/the-great-divide-a-taranov-split/

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Language barrier NOT included

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: The great divide: a Taranov split
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:47:16 am »
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=31722.0

Ok Finski help me out please. I followed your link in it you mentioned a method you used called a flying swarm. Could you explain more.
Later,
Ray

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 06:41:01 pm »
Pretty interesting GB! If you watch any videos of European beeks harvesting the skeps they just shake out the bees and requeen and let the bees figure where to go.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 06:50:37 pm »
This is a good way to seperate young bees out for cell starter hives.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 02:15:02 am »
And what is the reason to make Shook swarms, Taranov swarms, Snelgrove swarms, Artificial swarms...

This is a serious issue, becaus it upsets the whole hive. Honey making stops right now; Some guys have reported that their brood have died.
Their shook hive returned home...

And why to make suddenly split even if you did not mentioned.

It depends what are you doing? Or just mixing hives' life?

I cannot see any idea in Taranov swarm. At least it is really complex.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:58:43 am by Finski »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 03:13:46 am »

Ok Finski help me out please. I followed your link in it you mentioned a method you used called a flying swarm. Could you explain more.

- you move an original hive 10 feet
- put in old site a new hive which has foundations, a food frame and brood frame + laying queen
- bees from original hive fly to the foundation hive. You bees remain in the hive and nurse the brood.
- about half of bees will stay in old hive and they are emerging more all the time.

This is very expencive way to make splits, because the hive will not do honey after operation.
To cut swarming fever this is splended way compared to breaking queen cells.

To get honey yield you must join the hiveparts again.

When artificial swarm starts to draw foundations, it is a sign that they are going to stay in the hive.
After a week they have drawn the combs and they will not swarm again.
If you use drawn combs fow artificial swarm, quite often the swarming fever continues.

To productive hive balance of diffrenet age bees is important. There are foragesr but as important are home bees which take care of brood and handle the nectar and honey.
Bees die all the time and new bees are needed every day. Brood store take care, that there are continuous frow  from 1000 eggs a day - >nurser bees-> honey handling bees -> wax building bees ->foragers - dead 1000 bees a day

anything