Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anybody know of any feral hives in Melbourne? I'm interested in having a crack  (Read 21058 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Hey Everybody,

Does anybody know the whereabouts of a feral hive in the general Melbourne area but can't be bothered doing the work to get it? I'm interested in having a crack...

Cheers

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
I know of one, I'm just waiting for the woman to call me back. It's in a possum box 3 metres up a tree.

See my post for "more than I can chew" for the pics.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
I know of one, I'm just waiting for the woman to call me back. It's in a possum box 3 metres up a tree.

See my post for "more than I can chew" for the pics.

Yeah, i saw that! very impressive! but you already have dibbs on it  :) don't wanna cut your comb  :-D sorry! couldn't help myself - bad joke i know

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
I heard this morning of another possible swarm at my daughters school. I saved one late last year from there. If I get out of work early enough, I will have a look tonight. You can have that if you like.  :)

My wife had a quick look this morning saw plenty of bees, but could see where they had their base.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Mate that would be awesome! would have to wait a few days though as i don't have any of my gear yet  :(

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
I heard this morning of another possible swarm at my daughters school. I saved one late last year from there. If I get out of work early enough, I will have a look tonight. You can have that if you like.  :)

My wife had a quick look this morning saw plenty of bees, but could see where they had their base.

Any joy with this one Phil?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Well, I dropped in this evening (about 7) and didn't see a single bee. :'(

I'll ask them to be a bit more specific as to where they thought they saw bees. Unless it was a late swarm and they had moved on by the time I got there...

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Well, I dropped in this evening (about 7) and didn't see a single bee. :'(

I'll ask them to be a bit more specific as to where they thought they saw bees. Unless it was a late swarm and they had moved on by the time I got there...

Bummer - why can't warms just stay put! i mean we're going to put them in a warm happy place where they don't have to worry about much! albeit we will pinch their food every now and again but some kids pay board when they live at home - they can just consider that board!

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
So does anybody know of any feral hive removals that people want done?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Mate that would be awesome! would have to wait a few days though as i don't have any of my gear yet  :(

I've got all the gear now so ready to roll!

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Unfortunately you're at the end of the season for swarms, unless you've got a mandarin and macadamia next to each other...

You will probably have to wait for spring now.  The bee club link I sent you earlier has a listing of people who will collect swarms. You could sign up for that. I don't remember there being anyone up your way offering to collect. No competition!

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Thanks Phil,

I'll do that - cheers...

I was also meaning any hives that had overtaken weird objects around their property that they wanted gotten rid of  :) me has the hive numbers 'growth' bug  :-D

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Went to get, what i thought, tobe my first ever swarm/cut out yesterday - turned out to bee European Wasps! Didn't even fire up the smoker!

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Yeah, I've seen a lot of those around this year.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Yeah, I've seen a lot of those around this year.

Yeah they reckon there's a plague of them! how annoying though going out pumped to have my first feral collection - and it's european wasps!

Did you ever have any joy with that feral in the bird/possum box?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Nah, She hasn't called again. Don't worry there'll be plenty more where that came from in Spring!

If I can find somewhere to house them, I'm thinking of building up my hive number this year.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Nah, She hasn't called again. Don't worry there'll be plenty more where that came from in Spring!

If I can find somewhere to house them, I'm thinking of building up my hive number this year.

Bummer - and i can't wait for spring! i'm looking forward to getting in to the nitty gritty of bee wrangling

That offer is still open mate once i get the a-ok from the council... there's more than enough land there for a few hundred hives!

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Sweet! 8-)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Hey, you guys come on over, We've got plenty enough spring to share some with you.  :evil:   :-D   :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
darn! Just had a call to "come out and remove bees out of my back garden". It only took about 3 seconds to decide they were those darned European wasps again. And I was just thinking it was time to get another hive going. Oh well, spring is not THAT far away!

Anyway I need time to build another couple of boxes to put them in. Seems like I am always building boxes.