Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moved honey  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Moved honey
« on: July 14, 2013, 09:45:07 pm »
 Did an inspection today. Nothing really remarkable. More comb built in the supers with plenty of capped and uncapped honey.
 The queens still haven't left the deep. I checked the mediums I put under the deep and they pulled all the honey out of the two frames I put in each one. No new frames are being drawn in either box.
 Can I assume that the bees prefer their honey stores above the brood? If that's the case, could I take partly drawn frames from the supers and fill the bottom medium with them and hope the pull that honey out and complete drawing the frames to be used as brood?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Moved honey
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:55:34 pm »
Rule is honey over brood.   They always want the honey stored over the brood.   That is why we put honey supers on top.  You can move boxes around but why?  

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Moved honey
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 10:58:39 pm »
ok...a quick rundown.
 Started two nucs this year, each put into a deep. After the five frames were drawn and being filled with brood, nectar and pollen, I added a medium. One hive built faster and soon had the medium mostly draw out and filled with honey, so another medium was added.
 Almost two months after the install, the mediums were full of honey leaving me to believe the queens were honey bound. I put a medium under each deep and added two frames of honey into each with the hope that the bees will fill out the other eight frames and the queen will start laying in the bottom box.
 I also added an empty medium on top of the brood and added a couple frames of honey to those as well. The eight frames in that box are being drawn, but are being fill with honey.
Since they moved all the honey out of the bottom box, I'm thinking it might encourage them to fill out the rest by moving the drawn frames to the center and replacing the empty frames with partly drawn frames.