Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I wanna be a Beekeeper! (Oregon)  (Read 3614 times)

Offline fillycate

• New Bee
  • Wannabee Beekeeper
I wanna be a Beekeeper! (Oregon)
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:49:09 pm »
We started homesteading on 6 acres about a year ago.  We are completely new to this lifestyle.  We have dairy goats and laying hens, a garden and fruit trees, and a lot on our plate!  From the beginning, I knew I wanted honeybees to be part of this, but I knew they'd be further down the road.  While I am tempted to jump in this year, I know from how this last year went that that would be a really bad idea.  :)

I want to do my research first.  I want to have a plan.  I want to have what I am already doing more in control before I add something new.  :)

So, I checked out a book at the library called "Honey in the Hive" written several decades ago by an older lady who did her beekeeping even decades before that.  A lot of the book is anecdotal stories.  A lot of the instruction in it has gone over my head because it is not explained at my level.  I have enjoyed the read a great deal, but I have questions.

Anyway, since this forum is so full of newbees ( :) ) I don't know if questions here really get addressed and I may need to post this question elsewhere.  I will try to find the appropriate place to post them and do so there.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: I wanna be a Beekeeper! (Oregon)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:13:31 pm »
Welcome to the forums. It doesnt matter what your question is just ask. If you want you can use the search bar to locate old post. Im sure if you ask someone wil give you a thread that has been posted about your question. Again welcome!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:34:27 pm »
you'll probably get better coverage of your questions in the General Beekeeping section.  post away.  we all have questions!

if you can swing it, i'd advise you not to wait.  if you don't want to put out a lot of money, it can take a couple of years to build up several successful hives.  if you start with a couple of hives your investment won't be to high and you can learn as you go. 

i don't know what part of the valley you are in, but http://www.ruhlbeesupply.com/ has a beginning beekeeping class.  i think it is soon.  you get a chance to do some hands on with equipment and get some questions answered.  you can also order your bees through them and their supply prices are not to bad.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline fillycate

• New Bee
  • Wannabee Beekeeper
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »
I may have my husband start building me some hives this year.  But I've done the "learn as I go" thing with goats this last year, and I am too swamped right now to add something new just yet. 

But I am an impulsive person by nature.  It is entirely possible that as I read and spend time in this forum and classes, that I may not be able to control myself.  ^_^  But I really do think it would be most wise for me to wait.  It isn't about money, it's about the time and stress, and my farm and family taking the brunt of it.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 06:02:38 pm »
Check out the backyard beekeeper here:
http://beemaster.com/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:50:13 pm »
are you south or north?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline fillycate

• New Bee
  • Wannabee Beekeeper
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 04:04:27 pm »
We are west of Salem.  :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:44:51 pm »
Welcome to the forums fillycate. There are beginners here as well as seasoned veterans, so I'm sure we can answer your questions here. Feel free and ask away. Being impulsive myself at least more so when I was younger, I understand about becoming interested in something and diving head first in. Once you get the fever for beekeeping you are definitely entering into a most remarkable world. You will thirst for more once you get a taste. Enjoy the journey!

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 10:06:33 pm »
So does "fillycate" mean you like horses?

http://www.bushfarms.com/friesians.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 01:00:31 am »
What amazing photos of these horses. Wow!! You really have your hands full over there Michael.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 11:11:50 am »
they are nice looking horses, MB.  i have been able to handle some and have found them to have a very nice temperament.  the ride is a little different.  i think that rocking chair motion would take some getting used to!

to spendy for me....i'll stick to retired cutting horses and mutts  :-)

anything