Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cells and plastic foundation  (Read 3245 times)

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
Queen cells and plastic foundation
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:03:26 pm »
Just for future info. When I get hive's that have queen cells going, is there a way you can take them off plastic foundation with out destroying the foundation, or hurting the queen cell? I am thinking that
being you get so many at times you could start other hives with them. I know this is what nucs are for but I was thinking "just in case". Thanks!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Queen cells and plastic foundation
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:09:22 am »
>is there a way you can take them off plastic foundation with out destroying the foundation, or hurting the queen cell?

In my experience, no.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:15:46 am »
Plastic foundation such as peirco or plastic as in duragilt?  If pierco or plasticell then it shouldn't hurt the foundation. 

Depending where the queen cell is, you may be able to carefully cut it off .  If on the face of the frame, then not so much.  If hanging off the bottom, then maybe.

If it isn't capped...then probably not.  If it is capped, then you may be able to.  It takes a steady hand and a liberal cut to get the whole thing without damaging it.  At least when you aren't very experienced with it.

Rick
Rick

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:06:37 am »
I just cut foundation and all.  The bees will fix the hole.  A sharp exacto knife will cut through Pierco no problem.  So will scrissors if you have a starting place.  Of course, taking the hole frame is easier.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain