Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wedge or Grooved Top Bar?  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Chrisd4421

• House Bee
Wedge or Grooved Top Bar?
« on: December 13, 2009, 09:01:49 am »
Hi all,
   Now to my next beginner question.  When going foundationless, and you can start from scratch, what is the preference for frames?  Wedge or Grooved?

I am probably going to buy one hive worth of components in Feb.  I would love to start with two hives but I just dont have the scratch...

Thanks!!!
Chris

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Wedge or Grooved Top Bar?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 09:29:14 am »
I have a friend that loves using the wedge top frames for foundationless. I use groove top and insert a strip of coroplast in the groove and toenail or glue it in depending on time restraints.

I guess it boils down to what you have around as your basic frame stock and preference.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 11:24:27 am »
Wedge top is probably a little more flexible in accommodating different foundations. If I were going with pierco type foundation, I would go with grooved top.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 12:08:48 am »
If the wedge is cut thin like the ones from Mann Lake the wedge board can be glued and nailed to make a perfect starter strip. If you buy from other suppliers the strip can be a bit, thicker and is best to taper the edge to give a more defined edge.

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:17:26 am »
I used wedged tops in my hives. I break off the wedge, rotate it 90 degrees so it sticks down farther than the other half and let the bees use that as a building guide. So far all of my foundationless frames have been drawn out nice and straight along the edge.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:51:04 am »
Turning the wedge 90 degrees is a simple foundationless solution that requires no extra parts.  Putting a wood guide (popscicle sticks, paint stick, ripped 1/8" wide piece of a one by etc.) works just as well, but requires you to either buy or make the guide.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Chrisd4421

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:00:01 am »
Thank you all!!  Wedge bar it is....

Chris.

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 11:36:40 pm »
I have used both but mainly wedged.  Bees like paint stiring sticks, tongue depressors or just a thin piece of wood cut off with my table saw.

You didn't mention the top drop in frames by Kelly.  I purchased a lot of them.  I will not put any more of them in my hives until I caulk the top drop in slot and the slots on the sides and bottom.  These frames are nothing but SHB magnets if you have SHB!!!!  I can't wait till warm weather to start swapping out as many of thes frames as possible so that I can caulk them and put them quickly back in circulation.  You have no idea how many SHBs can run around in just the top of these frames.
De Colores,
Ken

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 03:00:03 pm »
That is another reason why I use solid bottom bars and a beveled edge top bar for my foundationless frames. I figured if I don't need the groove anyway since I am not using foundation I may as well keep all the little crevices out of my frames.

Offline Bee Whisper82

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 06:52:00 pm »
Turning the wedge 90 degrees is a simple foundationless solution that requires no extra parts.  Putting a wood guide (Popsicle sticks, paint stick, ripped 1/8" wide piece of a one by etc.) works just as well, but requires you to either buy or make the guide.

I like that you don't have to spend the time looking and cutting or figuring out what to use.   It also saves money too. ;)

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 08:50:42 pm »
Putting a wood guide (popscicle sticks...) works just as well, but requires you to either buy or make the guide.

we use the same jumbo craft sticks for honey tasting that we use for comb guides (in grooved top bars, btw).  if anyone wants comb guides, is willing to wash them themselves, and willing to pay shipping or pick them up in leominster, you are welcome to them...literally by the thousands.

we will also make them available for anyone coming to the 2010 Northeast Treatment Free Beekeeping Conference (dates tbd, but same venue).

deknow