Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbi From Virginia  (Read 2044 times)

Offline jennifer.hebert

• Brood
Newbi From Virginia
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:14:38 pm »
Hello everyone,

My family will soon relocate to Northern Africa, Algeria to be exact. We will be starting up our own little farm so to speak. A few dairy cows, chickens, goats, sheep and since I love raw honey, I was thinking why not add honey bees? What books do you recommend reading?

Thanks!
Jenn

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Newbi From Virginia
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:19:04 pm »
Hello and Welcome Jenn
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:21:01 pm »
Hello everyone,

My family will soon relocate to Northern Africa, Algeria to be exact. We will be starting up our own little farm so to speak. a few dairy cows, chickens, goats, sheep and since I love raw honey, I was thinking why not add honey bees? What books do you recommend reading?

Thanks!
Jenn

Since you are going to Algeria I would recommend reading up on Top Bar Hives (TBH) as I think that is what you'll encounter most over there.  As to reading materials the 2 you should buy here and take with you are The ABC's and XYZ of Beekeeping and the Hive and the Honey Bee published by Dadant.  Between those 2 encyclopedias of beekeeping you will have 90% of the information you want.  Beyond that you might want to pick up a book on queen rearing.
Enjoy the adventure and good luck.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:28:31 pm »
Jenn, welcome to our forum. Wow, that is quite the move that you and your family are going to make, good luck, good luck with keeping bees, that is a wonderful thing to do.  Even though you move, stick around, you can learn an awful lot from us on this forum.  Have a wonderful and awesome day, great health wishes for us all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything