Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bullseye Bill from Wichita, Kansas  (Read 5618 times)

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
Bullseye Bill from Wichita, Kansas
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:25:20 am »
Hello.  I'm Bullseye Bill, and I am a beeoholic.

It started innocently enough, I was a bit curious, my sister in law offered me a peek into a hive of hers.  It didn't take too much, we pulled a couple of frames and saw brood, and the smell, I'll never forget the smell.  Intoxicating, and addictive, I was hooked.

I started out with just one hive and little to no equipment.  My fear kept me from bothering them much the first year.  Then came the second year, and they made honey.  Oh that sweet nectar of life gripped me, I had to have more.

I ordered two more packages and they grew and produced, but I lost the first.  I knew that I must have more, even more.

The next year it was four packages and two nucs.  The golden rush was unstoppable, I was totally overcome in my new addiction.  All my money was spent on even more equipment, more hives, and more bees! 

Soon I was gathering swarms from any source I could find.  I would drive for miles chasing the brown and black clusters that drew me, called to me.  But it wasn't enough, I had to have more!  I started ripping them out of buildings, scouring the woods for trees that harbored the soft and fuzzy creatures.  I coveted my new found treasurers, I protected them and provided for them.

Now all my income was spent on equipment to provide shelter for the homeless swarms and the misplaced colonies.  Soon I was removing them four days a week from all over the area, and caring for my charges on weekends. 

My addiction grew and grew until all my time was consumed by the keeping of bees.  Soon I had no time for the things I loved in life.  I sold my horse, no time to fish, no time to hike, no time to hunt.  Er, no, strike that, I still hunt.  I even sold my Harley and bought a John Deere Gator for working the bees!  Well, OK, I kept one of the Harley's, you got to draw the line somewhere.

I need this support group, I need to know that I am not alone.  My addiction has grown to well over 100 hives, is there no end?  I'm sorry I have to leave the meeting early, but I have another pile of boxes to assemble in the garage.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Bullseye Bill from Wichita, Kansas
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:42:26 am »
You've got it BAD! :) Ain't it nice. :)
Hope to one day be able to say the same thing.  But right now ten is enough. Did I just say enough? X:X
Good to hear from ya. :)

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:48:04 am »
what are you guys getting me into here,  some day i will have a place of my own and be able to do this stuff instead of just reading about you guys doing it,  then where will i be
nice to meet you bullseye
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:12:56 am »
It's not all that bad. Take two pollen capsules and call me in the morning.  :roll:

Glad to see you here.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:29:29 am »
what are you guys getting me into here, 

Oh you poor lost soul....you have no clue do you..... :-D 

If you have not blown off one of your kids birthdays parties due to a swarm, if you are still on your first marriage, if you have never "told-off" a loved one because all you really wanted was a gift certificate to a bee supply place, and still park your car in the garage.....then your still green and wet behind the ears.... :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:59:06 am »
Take two pollen capsules and call me in the morning.  :roll:

I took my pollen and called you but I didn't get an answer.  You must be out doing something with the bees.  :roll:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 04:18:00 pm »
I hear you Bill, loud and clear. Often enough when dealing with a swarm, particularly large ones, you know, those 7 or 8 lbers, I'll have an audience, maybe a few people at first, then before you know it, there's a small crowd and you hear things like, man, that guy is nuts, no gloves, isn't he afraid to get stung, that is just crazy!

And you know there's nothing else you'd rather be doing at that moment than standing in the middle of the action, shakin' and boxin' that fine swarm. Of course the big, sloppy grin on your face kinda says it all!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 04:59:28 pm »
Swarm Season, Swarm Season, come on Swarm Season!! :bee: :bee: :bee:

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:47:56 pm »
Hello and Welcome Bullseye Bill
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:49:06 pm »
BullsEyeBill......holy smoking cadoodalhoppers!!!  What an introduction!!!  When I began to read what you were saying, I got caught up in ya!!!  I'm not kidding, I had to read faster and faster and faster to get to the end to see what happened.  And now, I see what happened.  You are definitely, absolutely and perfectly addicted and totally out of your mind, smiling.

I'm thankin' my lucky stars that you didn't sell all your Harleys.  But I have to tell ya, I won't sell mine, nor hawk my Husband's for more bees.  I had to draw that line, smiling.

You are addicted, we are all addicted, we have fallen deeply under the spell of the honeybee, and yes, I don't think there is any way out.  I know what you are saying about falling in love with the scent of the hive.  There is NOTHING on this earth that can even begin to compare to that scent, in my mind, not a perfume, not a toilet water (I mean a light perfume by that), not an essential oil, the scent of the hive is the only one for me.

So Bill, welcome, you will fit in well with all us addicts.  Here you will have that place to tell your stories, tales and experiences, and will make more and some new friends.  Have that great and most wonderful day, attract great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:58:25 pm »
I love the smell of a bee hive Cindi but these people beg to differ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7KfcNBreo0&feature=PlayList&p=2381795B9D5551D0&playnext=1&index=1

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:20 pm »
JP, oh you one sick puppy!!!  Beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 11:28:10 am »
I love the smell of a bee hive Cindi but these people beg to differ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7KfcNBreo0&feature=PlayList&p=2381795B9D5551D0&playnext=1&index=1

...JP

Those poor unenlightened souls!!!  Can you imagine how bad they will have it when they finally do smell the "Holly Grail" of aromas.
 :bee: :bee: :bee:

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 01:35:12 pm »
Income?  You still have INCOME??

Boy, just wait till you get addicted BAD!!!  :-D
Rick

Offline Derek

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 09:46:14 pm »
Hello.  I'm Bullseye Bill, and I am a beeoholic.

HI BILL. We speak your name.

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 12:28:51 am »
Be careful where you do that!  You might end up in the same dog house.  :roll:

anything