Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fatboy (if you know what I mean)  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Fatboy (if you know what I mean)
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:14:26 am »
Well here goes, pics of my husband's 2002 Fatboy.  1650 cc
A little story goes around with this.  My husband took an early retirement from his company close to 10 years ago now.  He had been the Western Zone Manager for Sony of Canada for many years, having worked his way up that corporate ladder from a salesperson position when were married in 1981.  They wanted him to relocate to Toronto, Canada to take over an even larger position.  For my husband, this was not an option.  He had a brother that had relocated to Toronto when we first got married and this was not in the game plan for us.

He asked the company the alternative and they said a buy out.  Well, the buyout occurred and we have been enjoying each other's company ever since that time.  Never have looked back.

When he left Sony he wanted to follow a life dream that had been put on hold for many years.  That was to be the free spirit that he is and was prior to entry into the world of suits.  He had wanted to maintain a "corporate" physical appearance so had used constraint with physical appearance and attires.  He shaved his head, grew a moustache and goutee (spelling?), pierced his ear (twice), got tatoos and bought his dream motorcycle.  What a guy.  Me, I didn't change a little bit, other than being so much more happier.  No more long lonely nights while he travelled across Canada and the U.S., trying to look after foster children all on my own.  And we have had some doozies along with nice children over many years' time.

Our son-in-laws sometimes get together with their thoughts and take Ken's motorcycle away for a few days.  It always returns with beautiful new paint, chrome and all manner of improvements.  He is a lucky man.  The bike has gone from stock to an incredible looking bike, which is what you will see in the pictures.  Every change has been a surprise and not ever in bad taste or something that would have annoyed my husband. 

I am not new to riding.  I know how to ride, but learned on a bike of much smaller scale.  My agenda this year is to get my licence to ride (I never did have one for a bike).  That means getting on my husband's bike and taking it for the driver's test.  Well, that should be something else.  I am short. 5 foot 2 inches.  The fatboy is a very low bike, I can reach the ground, it is just plain and simply a very large bike, so it will be a challenge.  My "wish" list for this year is to get a Sportster low rider.  I have looked at a few and there are some nice 850 and 1200 cc styles that I like.  I think that I will be heading off on a 1200 cc because in the long road, I don't want to be left behind when we are heading up the winding mountain roads that lead to our daughter's house in Kelowna, that is one of our intended destinations when we go for our long rides.  Maybe one year....Sturgess...we'll see.

Enjoy the pics.  Great day.  Cindi

This first picture is one of my husband with my son-in-law, out on a ride of course.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Fatboy (if you know what I mean)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 10:43:26 am »
Full speed ahead have a great time on those Bikes
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 11:37:30 am »
What an awesome bike,I am so jealous! Thanks for sharing your pics...Finally!LOL
It must be a really great time going for rides out in the country.

I am not sure how they do things up there Cindi,but I took a practice, safety course first. they had smaller bikes that you could take and use for your road test if you wanted. I have had my cycle license for over 7 years and still don't own a bike :'( My friend has a nighthawk 750 that I have taken out for a spin a few times.Someday.......

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 05:49:51 pm »
Gorgeous bike, Cindi, I'm jealous.  I never was a good passenger, though, I have my license and rode a 1989 FXRS.  I loved that bike, I am always saying I should have sold the (now ex) husband and kept the bike.  :-D  Seriously, I kick myself daily for selling it - it's a long story.

My new, vastly improved husband has asked me a couple times if I'd like to get another one.  No, I'm too busy with other things, we enjoy camping, canoeing, kayaking, hiking - Here's a photo of our two kayaks on Long Pond near Jackman, Maine, an absolutely gorgeous trip we too a couple years ago.

And a wonderful sunset from the porch of our cabin (this picture is my desktop on my computer):

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 10:12:37 pm »
ah motorcycles nothing beats a good ride on a dirt bike ( except a day without an injury) :)
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 11:37:53 pm »
Dirtbikes, been there, done that.  I gotta say that they are a fabulous thing to get on a let the wild side carry forward.  Injuries, well...ya, that too.  Tried to jump a homemade hill in the back and ended up with some very damaged ribs!!!  Should have been a little more careful!!!  Love the two stroke, but pretty noisy eh?

Ann, you have a dream at your grasp.  Canoeing is my bag.  Now kayaking, that is another thing altogether.  I wish that I could do that..maybe one day.  You have a magnificent, and I am not embellishing one little bit, view.  No wonder you have it on your desktop.

organicgrl37.  We have a problem here in Canada with bikes and licences.  I don't know if it applies to the states as well.  If you take a road test on a bike, say a 850 cc, you are governed only to ride that size cc and below, you don't have a licence to drive the ones with the larger cc.  I could be wrong, but I think that is how it goes.  So...I will take my test on my husbands "Man Size" bike, 1650 cc.  It has a lot of power and I love it when he guns it and I hang on for dear life itself.  For the around town rides I only have a little pad that I stick onto the back fender, I make sure that I moisten it really good before I stick it on.  That is the only thing that holds me onto the bike, besides my legs and arms.  My legs are very well muscled, it comes from years and years of horseback riding and extreme work around our farm.  My leg clutch is pretty intense, and they are in full speed ahead anytime I ride.  Now if we go on a longer ride, I insist that my husband totaly changes the back seat for me.  That is comfort for sure.  Backrest, comforable seat and saddlebags.  Then, and only then can I just sit back and "enjoy the ride" and forget that if I am off-guard for a moment, I could be sitting back on the road behind the bike (LOL).  It is a daring sport, as I am sure many forum members know from their own experiences doing their own thing, whatever that may be.

Carry on, carrying on.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 02:36:34 am »
Harleys are very popular here now. Once the domain of Bikie gangs, they are now the toy of choice for the baby boomer generation. One observation, they are a lot prettier than they used to be. I would love to see the aussie HD sales graph for the last ten years, be almost vertical.

Thats a great view from your cabin BTW reinbeau.