Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dirtiest Jacket Award?  (Read 4156 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Dirtiest Jacket Award?
« on: September 23, 2008, 12:56:09 am »
Pulled some honey to harvest yesterday, did cut out today, lots of honey, calm bees, almost stepped on the queen.

I love the picture of their butts putting out the nosanov don't you?

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/SEPTEMBER222008?authkey=B_8a7ToI5fo#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
Re: Dirtiest Jacket Award?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 01:26:46 am »
 Nice pictures, thanks so sharing. This is the time of the year that I hate to see coming, Fall. Too late for cut-outs, removals and in our part of the county, getting them ready for Winter. I have 2 cut outs that are ready, when Spring comes. That is a nice trailer, I have to have one of those. It would be nice to have somewhere to have tools organized and not flopping around in the back of my truck. I have got to say that your jacket should get the Award! Keep the pics coming!
                                       Marc
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:35:41 am »
Got the trailer after Katrina, this yr decided to use it for my bee removals, its like a shed on wheels. Best bee removal vehicle IMO, a van, easier to park also, maybe one coming in the future.

Yeah, I think its time to wash the jacket. :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 02:04:09 am »
What do you do with all the honey you extract??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:55:19 am »
Earlier in the yr when there is more of a flow, not that the bees aren't still making some honey down here still, they are, but nothing like the major flows, I don't transfer quite as much honey during cut outs, but this time of yr I give them much more for stores.

The guy who comissioned me to do this job's father n law's father used to keep bees and they were very excited I was removing them live and to get honey. They wanted honey, apparently their entire family wanted honey, fresh honey!

So, I filled that large pot in the pic with honey.

BTW, the guy's daughter was present, perhaps a 10yr old and she was just too cute, asked a gazillion questions about the bees and honey.

The wonderful thing that I noticed was that her parents did not mind one bit that she was asking me all of these questions.

I have run into many folks that usually tell their kids something like, "hey don't bother the man, he's working!" Which is a travesty IMO. Here was this sweet, innocent bright eyed little girl utterly excited and curious wanting and thirsting for knowledge.

I could have sat there for days answering her questions and sharing what I know about bees and honey, she deserved answers, it was very nice.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:51:08 am »
JP, you got some great pictures going on there, as usual.  I personally think it is so cool that you didn't mind one little bit to answer that curious little wide-eyed girls questions.  You may have instilled the making of a new, young beekeeper by so doing, good for you, yeah!!!  Children have that natural curiosity, and when the adult human takes that time to satisfy that curiosity, well, what more can I say.....beautiful and most wonderfully awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 12:12:30 pm »
Nice pictures JP.  I like the trailer, always nice to have your tools and equipment available.  I tend to forget something I need when I go to do a removal. 

David

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 03:17:14 pm »
Nice pictures JP.  I like the trailer, always nice to have your tools and equipment available.  I tend to forget something I need when I go to do a removal. 

David

David, I love the trailer, its a little awkward with parking sometimes, but other than that my gear is enclosed and locked and I made shelves to hold all my stuff, besides its great when I evacuate for hurricanes, then I pile even more junk inside!

Cindi, I don't have kids and I'm pretty set in my ways by now and don't know if I'd want any, kinda late for us, but I do like them and feel we should take the time to give them our best, they are after all the future.

...JP

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 04:06:03 pm »
What do you do with all the honey you extract??

I leave much for the bees , but i also take the balance.....
I have been taking my cutout wax and honey and performing crush and starin method of extraction. i filter through screen and bottle. Here is the thing- I sell it as "WILDBEE Honey" I sold over 85lbs of this this year. I offer it for $10/lb. I just sold my last 8 bottles today for $65. This was to a repeat customer. I wish i had a thousand pounds of this honey. I sell it as fast as i get it. I did a cutout last week. the comb was weak so I couldn't leave for bees( whish i copuld have done that) but I got 3 lbs of totally black honey. I mean jet black like ink. I wasn't going to sell it, but a customer saw it bottled in my car. I said it wasn't for sale, but he offered $50 for 3lbs.... well... i sold it. I also licked the bucket out cause I wanted a tastse!!!! Rootbeer is what it tasted like. I wish I had kept a pound...
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 05:32:44 pm »
I am glad you are getting a very good price for the honey. I believe when you are a small time beekeeper and have to do so much work to keep really good healthy hives, well the honey IMO is worth much more.

Take care
Annette