Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where to put that Swarm Trap?  (Read 2573 times)

Offline romduck

• House Bee
Where to put that Swarm Trap?
« on: July 22, 2005, 11:20:57 am »
I've picked up a swarm trap and lure phermone and I know HOW to place it (despite my male tendencies I DID read the directions :)  ) but I'm not sure what the best location is.

I'm in Rural Western Connecticut on a small plot (1/2 acre) but I have a number of swamps and state forests nearby. I could place the trap (or traps if all goes well) out in the state woods, but...

1) Closer to home (and hives) = less transport and work
2) I already know how the rangers react to people who try to make maple syrup from state tree (not personnaly) and I'm not sure what they would think of me taking "state bees".

On the other hand, I don't know if placing the trap too close would have any detrimental effect on my current hives. I'm guessing that, if any effect, it would help me catch an accidental swarm of my own hive, but I've never done this before and have found little specific info in text.

Any thoughts, comments, experiences?  :?:
--

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 12:52:53 pm »
It's hard to predict where a good place is.  I scatter them around and see what I get and then concentrate more on the places I get swarms.

It's kind of late in the year to catch any swarms.  At least here.  Prime swarm season was over about the end of May or the middle of June here.

Not that there MIGHT not be a swarm, it's just a lot less likely now.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline romduck

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 02:20:42 pm »
Thanks. It sounds like it may be best to wait for prime time next year and try my luck on state land.

I'm assuming that having any trap near my own hives wouldn't have any detrimental effect on them.
--

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 03:52:24 pm »
>I'm assuming that having any trap near my own hives wouldn't have any detrimental effect on them.

Not at all.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything